Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
Some of my fish got bitten by someone (still have to figure out who). Wounds weren't serious at all, but now there is something that looks like fungus where these wounds were. Is it fungus? And, what is the best treatment for this? I have different kind of medications that I bought this spring when I just got into this hobby and still haven't used any of them.
This is what I have:
Aquari-Sol
Melafix
Methylene Blue
Cupramine
Formalin 3
Malachite Green

Is any of these good? I'm looking for treatment that would be proper for use in a whole tank, since I have four fish affected and moving them to QT would be unreasonable.

Clean water is the best treatment. :wink:

Make sure you keep up on partial water changes to reduce the chance of further infection. Then, I would get some anti-fungal medicine (none of which you have, btw) and treat.

One of my fish had three white cottony spots on him. I think he scratched himself on the rock, since I saw him hiding behind it for a long time. I used methylene blue and it worked. Don't use this in your main tank - it will stain the silicone and kill the good bacteria colonies.

I know it's a pain to catch four fish, but if they need treatment after a day or two of extra water changes, then you need to treat in a QT tank. The methylene blue will wipe out the fungus quickly. A QT tank can be easy and cheap - a large Rubbermaid container with a heater and airstone. There are plastic, disposable airstones that you can use, since the meth. blue will stain it. The Rubbermaid may get stained too. I used meth. blue in an acrylic QT tank and it didn't get stained. My heater didn't either.

Make sure you keep up on partial water changes to reduce the chance of further infection. Then, I would get some anti-fungal medicine (none of which you have, btw) and treat.
Then, what do you suggest to use?

One of my fish had three white cottony spots on him. I think he scratched himself on the rock, since I saw him hiding behind it for a long time. I used methylene blue and it worked. Don't use this in your main tank - it will stain the silicone and kill the good bacteria colonies.
I have 10g empty tank that I could use as QT. I'm just curious how bad will it get stained? I'm planning to use this tank in future as a regular tank. Will Methylene Blue change silicon color to blue, or will it make it really ugly?

Jungle Fungus Eliminator always worked very well for me. But this time, the fish had one cottony growth and after a few days in the Fungus Eliminator, he had three fuzzy growths. So I put him in meth. blue and in two days, the spots were gone. I kept him in the meth. blue an additional 2 1/2 days. He's fine now, and back in his tank.

The methylene blue will stain your silicone bad enough that you'll notice it, and IMO it will kind of be ruined as a display tank after that. I used it on my very first tank about 4 years ago. It was the only tank I had at the time. I did notice that over about a year, the stains faded a little, but they were still noticeable. The silicone was stained bluish, and after time, the color faded a little, but dark blue dots are still visible all over the silicone. I would never use this med in a display tank again. It can also stain any decorations in your tank, or the decorations could absorb the med and possibly release it back out later unless you rinse/soak the tank decor very well.

So while this is a good medicine to use if needed, it really should be used in a QT tank. Once your display tank is stained, IMO it's not that attractive anymore. Since I stained my one tank, I automatically have a QT tank now. :wink:

Thank you, An t-iasg. I will try 2-3 water changes during a week and see what happens. If situation doesn't improve, I will use Methylene Blue in my 10g tank that will become QT.

I think that sounds like a good idea! If you need another 10 gallon tank for a display tank, they are easy to find and cheap.

I think that sounds like a good idea! If you need another 10 gallon tank for a display tank, they are easy to find and cheap.
Problem is rather in finding some space for it

newhobbist said:
Thank you, An t-iasg. I will try 2-3 water changes during a week and see what happens.
Sounds like a good plan. You could also dose with Melafix (non-staining) every day during this time. Also, lower the water temp a degree or two. The fungus, actually a bacteria, grows slower in cooler temps.

newhobbist said:
If situation doesn't improve, I will use Methylene Blue in my 10g tank that will become QT.
My QT tank is STILL stained blue after a year and a half.

Back
Top Bottom