Fuzz algae help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadu571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi people, i am in need of some advice as my tank has suffered a serious fuzz/hair algae outbreak. The tank is a 20gal high, has 1 dg, 8 neons 4 moss barbs and 2 kribs. Filtration is a eheim hob, rated for 70-100us gal.

It's quite moderately Planted, lots of vals, three/four swords, Brazilian micro sword and java fern. I use root tabs and fertiliser, tetra plantamin which I dose at the recommended rate of 20ml every 4th water change. I do 40% water changes every week.

Ph: 7.6
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10

I only have a standard test as I'm new to planted tanks, I don't have money for co2 so if there is a way around this without raising co2 it would be appreciated. I have the lights on for 6-8 hours a day, with one t8 18w tropical and plants bulb and one t5no 24w daylight bulb. It has only been planted since december, I have had good growth, vals have spread around, the sword are growing well and the grass has started to creep, but in the past week the fuzz has slowly got worse. Trying to stay low tech because of cost and equiptment accessibility.

I have done alot of reading and So far I have; reduced water changes to 20% roughly twice a week instead of one big change, reduced photoperiod to 4-5 hours. I dosed plantamin 2 water changes ago, and plan not to put any in for another 6 changes, effectively missing one dosing, will this help?

Any ideas? Should I be raising my nitrate? Do I NEED co2? Are phosphates an issue? Do I need to get a test kit for phosphates, iron etc? Should I be reducing nutrients? Is there a good cure or is it going to be a battle to the death? Hoping to sort this without throwing money at it. Anyone with experience in getting rid of it, please share your experience. Thanks :)

DIY c02 costs next to nothing. 2 liter coke bottle, activated yeast, sugar, a pinch of baking soda, and some air line tubing.

Though I can't say c02 is exactly the problem.

Thanks for the reply, I have looked at DIY co2 many times, but would still need a check valve or diffuser or drop checker or some other piece of tech right? Would I need then to worry about PH? Or does it not affect it that much or hardly at all? Would a Hagen co2 chamber be better, with a ladder? They are cheaper and are better made than I would trust myself to make, exp if the stuff can flow back into the tank if I make a mistake, as I have an idea but would love someone to draw an actual diagram showing how to put DIY together properly with all the bits needed. How do you regulate the bubbles on DIY?

Sorry for the questions, I just have loads to learn before I try, as I'm very cautious.

can I see some pics? It sounds a lot like my situation with, of course, a different build.

I started my 125 in december and don't have a co2 system in place.
I don't use all the ferts but I did put in soil and eco complete substrate.

I've got some white funk growing all over that seems to be slowly getting itself in check with water changes.

I felt like I just needed to up my lighting and place in a sophisticated CO2 system to solve my problems. would like to see if the hair algae is similar to mine.

Good luck and hopefully someone will have some know-how to help you!
Pam

Attachments

• DSCF1276.jpg
    DSCF1276.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 65
for a 20 gal a diy system should be sufficient.

You will need a check valve
appropriate tubing
a diffuser or better yet a reactor

I wouldn't think that for a diy 20gal system that you would need a bubble counter and all that, unless you wanted to make it pretty sophisticated.

I'm guessing some co2 would help you, but you may still have some underlying stuff going on.

good luck!

P.S.
I have the Nutrafin co2 system with the ladder.....I don't think a whole hell of a lot of it, but put it in my 5 gal. DIY systems can be made much much better. I don't think the ladder is very efficient.

Thankyou again for the replies, but I am hoping someone might be able to help me sort this without buying more equipment, but I I need to, then I need to. Does anyone else have an idea on how to turn the tables in this war to my favour?

Still having issues with reduced light etc. anyone have an idea if it might be high phosphates? Or low nitrates, as I've read that it's wise to keep them at certain levels depending on how heavily planted the tank is, is that right?

I don't know man.....sorry :(

You don't want your nitrates to get over 20ppm no matter what if you have fish.

What are your reduced light issues? It sounded to me like your lighting was probably sufficient.

I'm sure it's sufficient but I have cut down on the hours they are on hoping it will help. I dunno if it has had much of an effect to be honest. :(

Thankyou for trying to help, I appreciate your replies. I think I might invest in a phosphate test and do some searching that way, it looks like I'm going to have to spend out to figure what's happened, but I need to know the root cause don't I.

I got some Amano shrimp to help ease the symptoms a bit, but my powder blue dwarf gourami took it on as a personal vendetta to annihilate them. I have one out of four left. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom