Fx5 media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got an fx5 and other supplies off of Craigslist. One of the things in the box were a couple of media bags. So, should I use the media bags or just put the bio balls etc right into the fx5 media baskets? Is one way better then the other?

I don't trust other people's media unless I know their tank. Bioballs are not meant to be submerged underwater. You don't need media. Leave the trays empty with all the pads. The original pads are huge and will be enough for most stocked tanks.

I have my own filter media I was going to transfer into the new filter. I just wasn't sure if it's better to put bio media directly in the media baskets or if I should put them in a media bag first. Are there any advantages or just personal preference?

Its better to put the media in a bag because its easier to transfer the media in and out quickly and easily for any reason.

i put my media straight into the baskets and throw a white polishing pad on top of each basket to stop the media from moving and making noise.

the fx5 is a great filter.

Terrance said:
Its better to put the media in a bag because its easier to transfer the media in and out quickly and easily for any reason.

This is a dumb question but the media bag won't interfere with bacteria on the media will it?

It should not interfere. You will need to take the media out for rinsing every 1-2 month.

This is a dumb question but the media bag won't interfere with bacteria on the media will it?

Please don't feel you are asking a ( qoute dumb question) there are no such questions when your trying to learn about something. We all have questions at some point!! everyone here is more than willing to help if possible. Thats one of the great things about forums(y)

Thanks guys! One more then! Would you use bio balls or ceramic biomedia if you had both? I have both and am trying to figure out the better option for bio media.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom