GAC Changeout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
How often does the Granular Activated Carbon need to be changed out? Also, is the carbon completely replaced with new carbon at each changeout? :thanks:

I thought it absorbs organic material that the mechanical filter can't pick up. Books I read says once a month???????????????????

I don't use it personally, and my tank is crystal clear with healthy fish. I prefer not to use it because it's not good for live plants.

I've had a planted tank for 3 months (Java Fern & Anubias Nana)! What harm does it do to the plants?

*Supposedly* (I'm no expert....lol) it removes trace elements needed by the plants. And if you're using ferts, it will remove a lot of that as well. It removes some of the good with the bad.....that seems to be the jist. :)

There are a lot of pro-carbon folks. Not really one of them myself though.
It is good to always have some on hand to remove any medications you may need to dose in the future. It can also help to remove tannins and foul odors. But, IF there are foul odors coming from your tank you have larger issues that a bag of carbon is not going to help you with.
It can also be a good water polisher if used correctly. I am not talking about the minuscule amount that are in cartridges, you would need a healthy amount.
As far as plants go, it can remove some ferts but again, the tiny amount in a cartridge is not going to do much.
IMO, it is not necessary in a properly maintained tank and the return on investment is very small.

Back
Top Bottom