Gary could get to be 10 years old!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, I'll second that comment. Very impressive.

They love hard water and to munch on mineral (calcium) rich foods, and stable tank parameters. Will eat on a cuttlebone (no additives) like for birds.

NO copper meds or using copper meds in tanks you want to have them in.

Acclimate gradually like you might do for a fish.

Awesome pets!!!

~~~~~
Gary IS highly photogenic!!!

Here is an old pic but a favorite one
60074-albums11380-picture51091.jpg

and one of my favorite snails Long gone now, Mr. Mustachio

60074-albums9317-picture37568.jpg

Thank you! They really are great. I could have taken so many pictures today of him doing cool things. But I was feeling ill. Sorry for your loss of Mr. Mustachio. He was so cute!

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you! They really are great. I could have taken so many pictures today of him doing cool things. But I was feeling ill. Sorry for your loss of Mr. Mustachio. He was so cute!

Hope you feel better soon to get more pics! ;) Thank you.

Lots of babies from the ones I had went to people all over the USA, so I know there are more of his family keeping others happy as well.

Planning on getting a new bunch which look similar. And some new colors.

These guys (snails) have been having issues with our water company which changes water sources at least 2x per year, and I think that when they flush the lines some of the stuff they use isn't exactly cleared out of the lines very quickly.

And I always lose most of them in ~ December/Jan. which is when they switch one of the times. I try being more careful now when I smell really strong chlorine smell I for sure don't do a pwc until it isn't like that any longer. Just a heads up for everyone else too.

Hope you feel better soon to get more pics! ;) Thank you.

Lots of babies from the ones I had went to people all over the USA, so I know there are more of his family keeping others happy as well.

Planning on getting a new bunch which look similar. And some new colors.

These guys (snails) have been having issues with our water company which changes water sources at least 2x per year, and I think that when they flush the lines some of the stuff they use isn't exactly cleared out of the lines very quickly.

And I always lose most of them in ~ December/Jan. which is when they switch one of the times. I try being more careful now when I smell really strong chlorine smell I for sure don't do a pwc until it isn't like that any longer. Just a heads up for everyone else too.

Oh no! Poor snails. I hate that they put chlorine in water. I use well water. I don't trust the systems.

I think I will call the water department people again and ask exactly what they use so I can understand what issues I am up against. Someone here mentioned an algaecide as well as the chloramines most cities use. When the town allotment of water in the lake runs out, they switch it up and go with the reservoir allotment. Flushing each time, but also the town is growing /adding on and has repairs so each time there a wash out too.

We just want to take good care of the snail babies, lol. Town is making it harder!

I don't think that these are legal to sell in the US? I have never seen them for sale on eBay or aqua bids. But maybe they just disappear quickly.

I will keep an eye out. But for now I am happy with my mystery babies. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469968793.465823.jpg

Apple snails which can be the size of a 12 oz soda can (and other creatures) are regulated in some states, and are allowed in some but not sales - some can be given away- some are not to cross state lines of prohibited states, etc. Just depends on each state.

Never let them go in natural water ways. Most people on AA would know that, but others might not be aware. Of course any animal which didn't come from a local source and even some that do after they have been in your tanks, they could take non native diseases back to the pond or lakes and cause problems.) Some people have had the giant and other "decorative" snails escape after flooding from ponds, etc. There are non native species taking over in waterways and why there are rules, laws, guidelines. Florida is having a bad time with Apple snails.

A couple things:

TMaier - Are those rocks? They look like jello and so cool!

Autumnsky - Interesting. Do you know which states have those laws?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Every state is different.

I know in Colorado people will give an Apple snail, but won't ship and won't sell. Specifically when I last checked, a few years ago I didn't see anything about them here in CO.

You can check for your state by looking up Invasive Species or Aquatic Nuisance Species, check parks and wildlife depart.

Or more info on just googling your state name and the words Apple Snails and either Laws or regulations.

Looks like the giant African Snail is a NO NO.
https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/main.shtml

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - FAQs

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/si...ogram LegislativeReport-January2014-FINAL.pdf

Very interesting reading.

TMaier - tank looks awesome :)

And great discussion Autumnsky! Will look into apple snails in Ontario :)

I am loving this discussion about snails, everyone! Very interesting about the apple snails.

So I looked into invasive snails and one source says the channeled apple snail, Chinese mystery snail, banded mystery snail and New Zealand mud snail are all invasive species in North America. The mystery snails and New Zealand Mud Snail have been found in Ontario since they have been found in the Niagara River (which goes into the Great Lakes).

Yeah I just found out I can't buy ramshorn snails anymore in PA

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just LOVE my Gary. Such a photogenic snail. My most favorite creature in my tank. I know I always say that. But I mean look at him! He's beautiful.

Attachments

• 1471825094844.jpg
    1471825094844.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 57
Nom nom nom....
He makes that wafer look tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nom nom nom....
He makes that wafer look tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol doesn't he? He loves those suckers. He gets half a wafer each day.

Adorable. Love the long tentacles.

If that is a Hikari Algae wafer, they also make small wafer variety of the Algae ones, but usually you need to buy them online. They are like the size of the sinking omnivoire wafer. Not seen the small in my lfs.

Adorable. Love the long tentacles.

If that is a Hikari Algae wafer, they also make small wafer variety of the Algae ones, but usually you need to buy them online. They are like the size of the sinking omnivoire wafer. Not seen the small in my lfs.

I don't know what kind they are. They just say algae wafers.

Back
Top Bottom