Gastropod???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky477

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
littleweirdguyvd2.jpg

I found this critter on a rock and then roaming around on one of my button polyp corals. I took him out for this photo and dumped him back since he looked harmless. I figure he's some sort of Gastropod like a limpet, but his shell is a little small. He's more like a slug with a hat.

I have more photos at www.weirdthingsinmytank.blogspot.com which has a larger version of the above photo.

Your photo isn't working for me but it sounds like a stometella varia. If it is, your right to put it back. It is a harmless film algae grazer.

You should checkout their site, tons of great photos like the Scooter Blenny below (photo is link to site also)

tecwzrd said:
Fixed your image link and it is a stomatella varia which is a harmless algae grazer.

P.S. Welcome to AA :D

Thanks for the I.D. It's hard to Google something like "slug like thing with shell" and come up with any useful information. Also thanks for fixing the picture link.

Fluff had nailed it even without the photo :lol: Hope you stick around, enjoyed your site very much. What kind of camera are you using?

tecwzrd said:
Fluff had nailed it even without the photo :lol: Hope you stick around, enjoyed your site very much. What kind of camera are you using?

My wife uses a Nikon D70 Digital camera with a 100mm macro and Nikon Speed light Flash.

I'm using a Sony Alpha 100 DSLR with 50mm Macro Lens and Norman off camera strobe over the top of the tank.

For the Microscopic shots I have a Sony DSC-W90 "point and shoot camera, A 1OOX Microscope, a 3/4 PVC pipe coupling, and duct tape to mate the two together (swear to God it works) :roll:

Back
Top Bottom