GBR's constantly fighting?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Title pretty much sums it up. Is it possible I have 2 males? How do I check? Can I vent them like African Cichlids? When I say constantly fighting, I mean nonstop!

29g Planted with Cories, Killifish, 1 albino BN & yellow lab & Nyererei fry approximately 2 weeks old (will be moving out as soon as they are big enough to not get ate by the larger fry in the grow out tank).

Attachments

• image-782162401.jpg
    image-782162401.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 107
That's 2 males and 1 female.... The males are larger, more colorful, and the first few spines on the dorsal fin are longer than the rest of it.

That's 2 males and 1 female.... The males are larger, more colorful, and the first few spines on the dorsal fin are longer than the rest of it.

I only see 2 GBR's in this picture. Hold on ill sex them, and edit in my guess.

From what I see, I'd go with 2 males. The one on the right MAY be female. But I'd go with make just from the fighting. I'd rearrange the tank and make sure there's eye sight breaks.

I only see 2 GBR's in this picture. Hold on ill sex them, and edit in my guess.

From what I see, I'd go with 2 males. The one on the right MAY be female. But I'd go with make just from the fighting. I'd rearrange the tank and make sure there's eye sight breaks.

Sorry, didn't pay close enough attention to the small one in the back... Assumed they were all rams and only glanced at it, but the other 2 are definitely males.

There is only 2 :) I forgot to mention that i had just recently gotten new lights & planted this tank so its pretty packed full of plants now and they are still at each others throats. They NEVER leave each others side. It's so weird because they seem to hate one another. Only time they leave each other alone is when they are eating....

Does the yellow lab ever bother anything?

No, they are very small still & the rams are like giants to them :) they only bicker amongst themselves. They are moving into they're next tank Sunday. That one in the pic is a Nyererei, there is 2 of them in there & they hide alot too :D they move out Sunday also :)

No, they are very small still & the rams are like giants to them :) they only bicker amongst themselves. They are moving into they're next tank Sunday. That one in the pic is a Nyererei, there is 2 of them in there & they hide alot too :D they move out Sunday also :)

How do they "fight" may I ask? I think they may have paired up, and what you think is fighting is actually mating behavior.

How do they "fight" may I ask? I think they may have paired up, and what you think is fighting is actually mating behavior.

Well they are either staring each other down or one will kinda circle the other & bites right at the side of the other one. Kinda like in a "T" shape. They lip lock all the time too. I can try to get a pic of them in the t shape. They are doing it now, as per usual, but I have horrible service so I might now be able to upload it.

The best way I've found to sex young rams is the black spot on the side. Males don't have any blue spangles in the spot. Its not 100% but its always worked for me. As long as there's no physical stress or damage I'd give them time to establish a pecking order.

Sexing them is very easy. There are about 5 different ways to. I would explain but it's hard to without a visual to point out. You can look it up on YouTube too.

The best way I've found to sex young rams is the black spot on the side. Males don't have any blue spangles in the spot. Its not 100% but its always worked for me. As long as there's no physical stress or damage I'd give them time to establish a pecking order.

Thanks! I think I might have 2 females then, they both have a blue sheen inside that black dot.

Thanks! I think I might have 2 females then, they both have a blue sheen inside that black dot.

I wouldn't trust that.. I completely ignore the black dot. More times then not, at least where I live, it will be the opposite sex if following the "black dot".

I wouldn't trust that.. I completely ignore the black dot. More times then not, at least where I live, it will be the opposite sex if following the "black dot".

+1 agree I have a pair and they both have the blue sheen in their black dots....I chose my pair by looking for the red on belly for my female and no red for my male....and I definitely have a pair and they successfully spawned twice now

+1 agree I have a pair and they both have the blue sheen in their black dots....I chose my pair by looking for the red on belly for my female and no red for my male....and I definitely have a pair and they successfully spawned twice now

Red dot is really the only good way to tell.

Size, black dot, dark/bold 2 bottom fins, red/purple belly, "forehead"..things like that.

Back
Top Bottom