General questions from a worrywart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bahamut89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I've had fish for about 2 years now but I've had a couple of fishes die over the years. I'm quite disciplined with water changes, filter changes and testing with the API Masterkit etc. But I have a few questions. Some of them are pretty silly :fish1:

My signature has the details on what tank I have and what fish.

- I read that we need to feed fish with a variety. So I have some tubifex works, general flakes and sinking vegetable pellets. Do i feed one type of food per day or do I mix it all together and feed the variety every day?

- My heater is set to maximum (30C/86F). I put a thermometer in the far side of the tank and its reading (22/71.5). I'm thinking this might be too cold for the fellas. Shall I get a new heater and crank it up highher so that the furthest end of the tank will be about 28C?

- If the fish seem ok, is there any reason to add tonic salt to the water? I heard that this is beneficial to fish health? I'm just a bit nervous about adding stuff to the water?

- This is a really stupid question. I have a few small figurine toys from games and science fiction. Can i put these in the tank or is that a really BAD idea lol

Thank you all

Sounds like your heater is too small or just junk . Get a larger heater like an Ehiem Jager and a controller if it is in the budget . Search online for heater selection charts to get the proper size .
As far as the toys , I wouldn't just because who knows what paint or whatever are on them . I have "Aquarium safe" decorations that have lost all the colors so it will come off over time .
I don't use salt because I have read more don't than do articles .
And lastly I feed something different everyday , about 3 different foods , alternating daily .

Thank you. Yeah the decorations are probably a bad idea. I got a better heater and it's much better now. I had a fish death a while back (a gourami). I wonder if the temperature drop killed it because I couldn't find any reason why it died. All the other fish ok and are much more active now.

Thanks for the help :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom