George's 28G Nano Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George9 said:
Planning on a occ. clown first. Then royal gramma in a month or so.

I used to have those same two fish in a 30L I setup for my folks. We call royal grammas LSU fish because our state football team's colors are purple and gold. It's really a popular fish here as you can imagine. Love em.

CorallineAlgae said:
I used to have those same two fish in a 30L I setup for my folks. We call royal grammas LSU fish because our state football team's colors are purple and gold. It's really a popular fish here as you can imagine. Love em.

That's awesome! I love their colors, and its cool how the purple kinda fades into yellow

My first addition is acclimating ;) it's a true percula instead of an occ. he's a friendly little guy lol

I think I'm in love lol

image-3074248086.jpg

He acclimated soo well and is already going nuts swimming back and forth :)

Are true perculas generally from the wild? I have no idea if this guy was tank raised or not.

They can usually tell you if your fish was wild caught or tank raised at the shop. It may be worth a call.

They can usually tell you if your fish was wild caught or tank raised at the shop. It may be worth a call.

Yeah, I'm gonna call Tuesday, they're closed tomorrow :( I'm thinking he's tank raised because I don't think a wild caught would make this easy of a transition.

He's already eating! I fed a teeny bit of brine shrimp, I know I know, I need mysis shrimp lol. I just wanted to see if he would eat. Do they like bloodworms?

And how close together could I add fish? I am not looking to rush things, I just wanna play it safe and go really slow.

A clown can stake out most of a 29 pretty fast. I'd wait about 4-5 days and see what your tests show. If all is good another fish should be okay to add. I wouldn't wait to long or he may be upset that he has to share his space!

A clown can stake out most of a 29 pretty fast. I'd wait about 4-5 days and see what your tests show. If all is good another fish should be okay to add. I wouldn't wait to long or he may be upset that he has to share his space!

Oh yeah, I never thought about the clown becoming aggressive to new guys. Hm, well I'll continue to test and make sure it's all good :) he's a nutty little guy lol

And how do you keep down on nitrates? I have a skimmer to skim the crap out before it turns into nitrates and I've been meaning to get chaeto (I have caulerpa in my fuge now), and 5g pwcs weekly but what else can I do because eventually I'd like corals and 10-20 nitrates isn't acceptable

And what other fish would you recommend for this tank?

To keep the nitrates down the culerpa will do fine. You'll also want to clean your mechanical pads once a week in tap water followed by a quick rinse in RO to remove any chlorine. Other than that just under feed and don't keep more than three fish. As far as choosing fish it's really up to you. My favorite is the cleaner wrasse but they're so hard to keep. Mine lasted about 5 years but it took a lot of work in the beginning. There's so many choices. I'd probably just add a sand sifting goby and a royal gramma but the options are endless. I think a skunk cleaner shrimp is the best thing anyone can add to a tank. Those guys are awesome.

To keep the nitrates down the culerpa will do fine. You'll also want to clean your mechanical pads once a week in tap water followed by a quick rinse in RO to remove any chlorine. Other than that just under feed and don't keep more than three fish. As far as choosing fish it's really up to you. My favorite is the cleaner wrasse but they're so hard to keep. Mine lasted about 5 years but it took a lot of work in the beginning. There's so many choices. I'd probably just add a sand sifting goby and a royal gramma but the options are endless. I think a skunk cleaner shrimp is the best thing anyone can add to a tank. Those guys are awesome.

Cool, sounds good :)

I've been reading a lot about people keeping cherub angels in nano/biocubes. They seem pretty cool and I was thinking about adding one last. I know it's possible they may nip at some corals, but from what other people were saying, it hardly happens, or not at all.

I those guys too! I think I'll add a little CUC once I get my diatom bloom, I don't wanna get them and have them starve because there's nothing to eat. :)

Can't wait to start looking at corals too ;) that's a little while away though lol

Cool! I like to see progress. And it's good to keep a time line. It also helps others when they start.

It's publishing now :)

Once I get my nitrates consistently low, what do you recommend as the absolute easiest coral out there? I'd need a I should start testing for alkalinity, calcium and what else?

Here it is, kinda blurry, I did HD and it was crystal clear when I watched it before I uploaded, but you get the idea :)
Edit-gotta find the right link lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom