German Blue Ram Breeding after 3 Days! HELP WanteD!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B Phishin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So after 3 days of introducing a nickle-sized firemouth and 2 German Blue Rams (GBR's) to my 2 week old 29 gallon tank, my GBR's started s[awning. They did their mating rituals and funny dances, and shortly after, I'd say around a 100 eggs were laid on a flat, limestone slate. I watched the female lay quite a few, as the male followed behind fertilizing the eggs. Almost 3 days later, after witnessing the parents eat half the eggs, and seeing the others turn from a yellowish-amber color to a dull, whitish, color (I assumed some had hatched), I began to ponder the future of my tank. What do I need to do to successfully breed and raise these GBR spawns from egg to fry to juveniles?? Im hoping for the best.. Could really use some input... :fish2:

- 29 Gallon Tank
- a 100 and 150 Penguin Bio-Wheel Filtration System
- 50 lbs of play sand (thoroughly rinsed and cleansed)
- pH level - 7.4 -- 7.8
- Ammonia & Nitate/Nitrate Levels - Unknown
- Temperature - 76 -- 78 Degrees (F)
- 3 Artificial Plants, 2 slabs of black slate, 7 slabs of limestone, 1 piece of Malaysian Driftwood

**Fish Include** - 1 small juvenile Firemouth, a breeding couple of German Blue Rams and 4 Cardinal Tetras (Neons, but hardier)
:whistle:

Jealous about the breeding pair! You should see if your other fish can handle higher temperatures. Everything I have read says that Rams like it hot, 80-84 degrees.

Also, get a good water test kit. Api Makes the one most recommended in these parts. You need to monitor Ammo, Nitrite and Nitrate as Rams are very sensitive, keep ing the Nitrates below 10ppm or less is crucial. I do a 50% PWC every 3 days for my new Electric Blue Rams, as I lost some GBRs for no reason.

Amazon.com: AP TEST KIT FW MASTER: Pet Supplies

Congrats that's fantastic I introduced my new rams a week ago and they seem to be getting on great but no signs of actual spawning yet. Need some flat rock. WCs are essential from what I've read and high temps as mentioned previous. Hope you don't have too much trouble between the GBRs and FM mind

i'd suggest moving the firemouth if possible if you want to raise fry;) OR just raise ina separate tank as GBRs are HORRIBLE parents;)

Congrats that's fantastic I introduced my new rams a week ago and they seem to be getting on great but no signs of actual spawning yet. Need some flat rock. WCs are essential from what I've read and high temps as mentioned previous. Hope you don't have too much trouble between the GBRs and FM mind

Any flat surface will do this 55 had 3 pairs in it with dozens of flat stones but not 1 of the pairs used them
img_1847552_0_9d5a4c31be93b8c3ba8fef19b934f10c.jpg

img_1847552_1_56dce7e6ec0db765332f4ce4c17ea79a.jpg

Had mine a week today and things are looking good. Keeping up the WCs and high temps and added some slate to where they were cleaning the pebbles. Hopefully by the end of this week may have out first spawn

Back
Top Bottom