German Blue Ram Sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bercey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I picked up some german blue rams today from the LFS and I'm not top convinced I received a male and a female.

Any help in sexing these guys would be great.

Fish 1:
4yzysahy.jpg

Couple hours between the two photos...
arudequ2.jpg

Fish 2:
ysabeduh.jpg

duruqupu.jpg

And here's a pic of the two together:
avepe8um.jpg

Fish 2 is in front and fish 1 is farthest.

As for behaviour, there is no chasing, except for the odd moment, they just seem to just chill side by side for the most part.

Look like they're both males. Does one have a pink belly?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Same as on plantedtank, look like males but if there is pink on the belly it is a dead giveaway. It's really easy to sex these fish, people make it way more difficult than it needs to be. Pink on the belly and its a female, no pink and its a male. This is how to tell a true GBR but the genetics are so washed out and weak nowadays and it can be tough to find good stock so...

I have to agree, both male. If you plan on getting a female, I would trade in male 2 he has poor form between the 2nd and 3rd dorsal spines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the help, guys.

I took them back to the store and traded them in for a male-female (they assured me - 99%) pair of electric blues. :) Did some research on sexing the electric blues beforehand and I do believe they are male and female.

Good luck with ebrs! Keep that water holy;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll trade you, I have two females, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom