getting rid of unwanted critters....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was informed to soak the live rock in high salinity water (1.030 or so) for 15min or so to get rid of/"run out" any unwanted critters in the new live rock.

Is this valid solution??

Interesting....would this kill off any good bacteria (even though its being soaked for only 15min or so)??

From what I've heard it's ok to do so without risking the bacteria. I've heard this trick from experienced reefers who did it years ago. Not sure if people would frown upon it now but it seems like a viable option. I had planned on doing it myself just havent bought any live rock lately.

I shall try this out then since I plan on adding acouple lbs of rock this week. I will keep my fingers crossed

Only thing i would worry about is the good hitchikers like brittle stars and good snails that could be in there?

I have done it but not much came off or out of my rocks. I would do it again in a heart beat only because I have been hearing and reading post about "Gorilla Crabs" inside the rocks and coming out and killing livestock so would I not only use the high salinity but I might even let it sit out of water for several days. Only because I have other live rock that can seed the new live rock with all those good critters.

If your gonna let it sit out just buy base rock.................. I don't know why you wouldn't do that.......

I was informed to soak the live rock in high salinity water (1.030 or so) for 15min or so to get rid of/"run out" any unwanted critters in the new live rock.

Is this valid solution??
I've never heard that, infact I wouldn't even consider 1.030 high salinity being the average salinity on the reefs is 1.026. Parts of the Red Sea have salinity higher than that.
You can dip the rock in freshwater and that will drive out anything hidden in the rock.

...You can dip the rock in freshwater and that will drive out anything hidden in the rock...

I definately agree with this. I dropped an egg-sized piece of rock which had an aiptasia on it into a container of freshwater (in attempt to get rid of the aiptasia) and right away all sorts of life baled out of the rock (pods, micro-stars, a small crab, various worms, etc). I was very suprised how much life that little rock housed.

For me it isn't worth killing the good hitchhikers. If I was afraid of getting something i my tank I didn't want I would go the cheap route with mostly base rock and one small piece from an established aquarium without any hitchhikers I didn't want. I get my rock from craigslist and local forums so most all the bad hitchhikers are long gone.

Back
Top Bottom