Getting So Discouraged!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, it was pH 8.2, ammonia .50, nitrites 0, nitrates 0-0.5

I don't think the filter needs changed.... Still looks pretty new, just gets algae or what I assume is green slimy algae on the bottom...

Stock is a black skirt and a red tail rasbora and I only feed flakes, just a pinch, before bed.. so I don't think I'm over feeding?

Still omg :/
I would go back to mixing them there is something not right

And your using prime right?

And what filter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew McFadden said:
Still omg :/
I would go back to mixing them there is something not right

And your using prime right?

And what filter?

Yep, using prime and the filter is the one that came with the tank from walmart, an aquatech... Thinking about getting an aqua clear for that one also...

Mumma.of.two said:
So your worried about the ammonia showing? Because you just added tap water with ammonia it will show in your tank. If you test 24 hours after a PWC it should be 0.

I'm worried about how when I change the water and use my tap all the levels spike! I went from a 7.6 pH to an 8.2 plus my very high nitrates! And the ammonia has been a consistent .25 since I've started using the tap! Its been 2 days since water change, will test again today and post results!

Mommaof4boys said:
I'm worried about how when I change the water and use my tap all the levels spike! I went from a 7.6 pH to an 8.2 plus my very high nitrates! And the ammonia has been a consistent .25 since I've started using the tap! Its been 2 days since water change, will test again today and post results!

How established is this tank? How long has it been set up and cycled?

Mommaof4boys said:

That's a good worry I would be too. When you did the tap water test did the numbers fall or stay the same? Maybe you need to get a trash can or something and fill it up 24 hours before water changes to give it time to fall before putting it in your tank.

That's what I was going to suggest. Let some water sit out overnight. A glass is enough. Stir it occasionally or add an air stone. Test the pH in the morning. Have you tested bottled water with your test kit to make sure your not getting a false positive from the tank?

I have merged both threads to avoid confusion.

Momma - I need you to do some experiments.
Test your tank BEFORE a water change.
Test it straight AFTER a water change.
Test 12 hours after water change.
Test 24 hours after water change.
And post your results please.
We are all getting confused with all the different numbers in different posts and not knowing exactly when the tests where done. So far it looks like the tap water is gassing off in the tank after a water change. Knowing what the nitrate is BEFORE a water change will help know what it's changing to.

Mumma.of.two said:

We are all getting confused with all the different numbers in different posts and not knowing exactly when the tests where done. So far it looks like the tap water is gassing off in the tank after a water change. Knowing what the nitrate is BEFORE a water change will help know what it's changing to.

Good idea^^^
Also, a complete stock list of both tanks.

I think I read earlier that the ten gallon has two small fish in it? This could be why it is taking some time to convert the small amount of ammonia from the tap. It does not have a very robust bio-filter anymore as it has regulated itself down to the tiny amount of waste these two little fish produce. Though it has been set up since January it still does not have the time behind it to consider it a well established tank and thus is prone to being slow to catch up. As I said before, give it some time and do regular water changes and maintenance and the bio-filter will catch up.

I will do absolutely this and will post all the results all at once! :)

Good idea^^^
Also, a complete stock list of both tanks.

I think I read earlier that the ten gallon has two small fish in it? This could be why it is taking some time to convert the small amount of ammonia from the tap. It does not have a very robust bio-filter anymore as it has regulated itself down to the tiny amount of waste these two little fish produce. Though it has been set up since January it still does not have the time behind it to consider it a well established tank and thus is prone to being slow to catch up. As I said before, give it some time and do regular water changes and maintenance and the bio-filter will catch up.

The 10 gallon is the only one with fish so far... It has 1 common pleco, trying to find him a new home, 1 black skirt, and 1 red tail rasbora.. I'm thinking about moving the pleco to the 44 gallon until I can find him a good home! :(

Mommaof4boys said:
The 10 gallon is the only one with fish so far... It has 1 common pleco, trying to find him a new home, 1 black skirt, and 1 red tail rasbora.. I'm thinking about moving the pleco to the 44 gallon until I can find him a good home! :(

You should have a ton of bio filtration with that pleco in there

Okay, I tested the water before a water change 20%, after a water change, 12 hours after, and then 24 hours after... Everything stayed the same except the pH level after the water change was an 8.0! So... every other reading was 8.2 pH, .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40 ppm nitrates!

The good thing was it didn't sky rocket but it didn't change either!!! Maybe I should do a really large water change and do this same testing and see the outcome! My 44 gallon is reading 8.2 pH, 0-.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-10 ppm nitrate!

Also, I was thinking of setting up a 20 gallon tank, moving everything from the 10 gallon to the 20 gallon, just to give them more room... do you think that would be a good idea? Then I could possibly try and get a school for each of them and maybe they would be happier fish???

Also, I was thinking of setting up a 20 gallon tank, moving everything from the 10 gallon to the 20 gallon, just to give them more room... do you think that would be a good idea? Then I could possibly try and get a school for each of them and maybe they would be happier fish???

The high nitrate in your 10 gal is due to the pleco. Common plecos get HUGE and need a 125+ gal tank for when they grow. How large is it now? It's creating quite a mess and that's why your nitrate in the 10 gal is so high. It might be ok temporarily in the larger tank (44 you said I think?) but they grow fairly quickly so if you aren't planning on getting the proper tank size for it as it grows then you might want to rehome it.

ALso you said no fish in the 44 gal? How are you cycling it? Are you adding ammonia?

librarygirl said:
The high nitrate in your 10 gal is due to the pleco. Common plecos get HUGE and need a 125+ gal tank for when they grow. How large is it now? It's creating quite a mess and that's why your nitrate in the 10 gal is so high. It might be ok temporarily in the larger tank (44 you said I think?) but they grow fairly quickly so if you aren't planning on getting the proper tank size for it as it grows then you might want to rehome it.

ALso you said no fish in the 44 gal? How are you cycling it? Are you adding ammonia?

I am currently trying to find a home for my pleco, all my fish were gave to me from my mother in law and she said she has had them for a few years.. so I'm trying to find them homes, however, no one around here has that large of a tank.... he's about 5 or 6 inches right now.... I vaccuum the rock and don't actually get a ton of waste so I didn't think he was producing that much... I might be wrong.. it could all be under his rock!

As far as the 44 goes, I'm not adding ammonia, its already in my water.... I put fish flakes in the tank and I've also cut pieces of the 10 gal filter and put in the 44's filter!

I would test your tap water in a couple different scenarios. Test it first right out of the tap. Then let the water sit over night and test it again. Your results will be drastically different I bet.

Your ammonia and nitrites should be kept below .25ppm if at all possible. Let your test kit be your guide as far as how big/many water changes you need to do.

Test a cup of water that is let to sit out overnight. An hour is not long enough for everything to degas, IMO. I'm betting you will be fine with straight tap water.

Okay, So I let the water sit out all night and tested them both again today... I find the readings.... weird.. LOL

Tap water left out overnight read pH 8.2, Ammonia .50, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 0-5.0
Tap w/Prime left out overnight read pH 7.4, Ammonia .50, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 0-5.0 So my Nitrates went up overnight?? I just found it weird...

So I need to do a water change.. do I use the tap water or spring water? I used tap water last time and the 10 gallon still has a butt load of what I am assuming is little bubbles in the water... it's kinda hazy but it's like little particles floating around in the water... when I used the spring water it was crystal clear... What would that be from?

Why are those readings that you gave earlier this month so much different? You say now you are getting 40+ppm of nitrates straight from the tap? Even so, that's not horrible.

I would just use tap water, regardless of your ammonia readings of .25-.5ppm. Adding prime will take care of that (may still show in tests though). Stock will have a big impact on your nitrates as has been discussed already.

Back
Top Bottom