Getting started with a 10 gal hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I haven't seen any specific advice on starting a smaller tank. Any links to that kind of thing would be appreciated.

I have a 1-bedroom apt, and I don't exactly have a good place to put a really big aquarium. I saw a 10 gal. hexagonal tank in the LFS which looks like it would fit really well. Measurements are 12" x 12" x 18" tall. It's $73 with the hood and $48 for a nice matching stand. The 15 gal. hexagonal one here looked nice:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_aquariums_tanks_hexagon.asp

...but that's $133 without a stand, and who knows where I'd get a decent stand.

I like the fish in the "community 5" setup here:
http://www.elmersaquarium.com/c106community5barbs.htm

I really like the sharks, and I really like the tiny bright-colored things like tetras and barbs. Everybody says a pleco is a good idea and I think the ones with the leopard-like spots are really cool. It'd be nice to have something really tiny that schools a little -- I actually thought the "rosy red" feeders in the LFS were pretty nice looking.

I don't want to have 20 fish in there. I just don't have any idea what I can put in there, though. Looks like there are only a few kinds of sharks that stay small. If the other fish are too small with the sharks eat them?

Looking at the advice here:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwset-up.htm

It basically says the adult length of all my fish should add up to about 8" for a 10 gal. tank. Even going for small fish, that's what ... room for 1 shark, 1 pleco, 1 tetra? That doesn't seem right. I've seen other places say that I should have 1 pleco for every 10 gallons.

I'd like to get the tank and get things started -- apparently I won't actually be putting much in it for a couple weeks till I get this cycle thing worked out.

My other question is just more general advice. Are there any amazing good deals or really superior products I should just order? I'll probably get the tank/stand/hood locally since it doesn't look like I'll get any good deals online once you consider shipping, but what about the filter, heater, test kit, and whatever else? I'm not sure if the LFS has pythons, but if not I'd order one of them.

Thanks.

Welcome to AA Tostada!!

I'll try to hit some of your questions:

I have a 1-bedroom apt, and I don't exactly have a good place to put a really big aquarium. I saw a 10 gal. hexagonal tank in the LFS which looks like it would fit really well. Measurements are 12" x 12" x 18" tall. It's $73 with the hood and $48 for a nice matching stand. The 15 gal. hexagonal one here looked nice:
...but that's $133 without a stand, and who knows where I'd get a decent stand.
I'm not sure what "look" your going for but I just bought a ten gallon rectagular for 8 bucks at the LFS.Hood,heater,bulbs,sand substrate and filter ran about another $50 or so.It sits on a little table we had at home anyway.Any decent dresser should hold the weight without a problem,so if you want a tank and want to save some dollars you could go that way.

I really like the sharks, and I really like the tiny bright-colored things like tetras and barbs. Everybody says a pleco is a good idea and I think the ones with the leopard-like spots are really cool. It'd be nice to have something really tiny that schools a little -- I actually thought the "rosy red" feeders in the LFS were pretty nice looking.
I don't think I'd put any shark in a ten,or any pleco for that matter.While some stay kind of small,they will take up much of the room when full grown.I think a school of small barbs or tetras will work really well.What you must consider is size of the fish when full grown and compatability.Check back in here when you are closer to knowing what you want and you'll get plenty of help deciding.

It basically says the adult length of all my fish should add up to about 8" for a 10 gal. tank. Even going for small fish, that's what ... room for 1 shark, 1 pleco, 1 tetra? That doesn't seem right. I've seen other places say that I should have 1 pleco for every 10 gallons.
I guess I covered most of this already...but that last sentence seems just insane to me lol.I'm glad you found these forums...the people here are most helpful...read threw some of the posts in this forum and scroll back a few pages as well,lots of good stuff for newbs.

Lastly I'll add that petsmart will price match thier own prices from their web page...just print the page and bring it in...the savings can be as good as 50% or so.I do it all the time.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess the 10 gal. might be just a little too small. I'm going to go look at the 15-20 gal. hex ones at Petsmart today and see if I think those would be too big for my apt.

First things first, though -- I don't really have to work out the finer details of the fish yet. Let's just say I get the 15 gal. tank today. I really don't know where to start. Let me just try to get a checklist.

- 15 gal. tank with hood (no bulb)
Might get the 20 gal, but it's the exact same size except it's 4" taller.

- Aqua-Glo 12" bulb
There aren't many 12" bulbs. Is it a bad idea to have live plants in a tank this small?

- Some sand?
Something tells me I can get decent sand for less than $20.

- Some gravel

- a filter
I really have no idea what kind of filter to get. All the kits I've seen come with Tetra filters. All the filters for 10-20 gal. tanks are pretty cheap, so there's no reason not to get the best, whatever that is. Are the filters that hang off the back of the tank the thing to get?

- heater
Do I even need a heater if the fish I get are pretty tolerant? My apt stays around 76-77F all the time, and that's the recommended temp for most fish I've seen. I don't want something that looks like a big curling iron dangling in the back of the tank.

- the ubiquitous Python

I recommend you get a rectangular tank, if you have room. Hex tanks have less surface area, so you can't put as many fish in them. I'd go for a 20 high if you have the room. A 20 long would be even better.

Some good filter brands are Aquaclear and Penguin/Marineland. I'd go with a hang on back type filter.

Do I even need a heater if the fish I get are pretty tolerant?
I would go ahead and get a heater. They're not that expensive. Your apt may stay around that temp, but the tank water may not stay that temp. Some good heater brands are Visi-therm stealth and Hydor. The general rule for heaters is 5 watts per gallon, so if you get a 20g tank, get a 100 watt heater.

A 10g is a good starter tank for live plants IMO, because you can get one that comes with a hood that holds 2 screw in bulbs. All you have to do for plants is replace the incadescent bulbs that come with the tank, with some screw in compact fluorescents. If you want to grow decent plants in a 20g tank, its better to just buy a new fixture, because if it comes with a fluorescent bulb, it probably won't be any more than 20 watts, which will only grow you low light plants. I'm not sure about 15g tanks, they aren't very common in my area.

Some pet stores and Walmarts have tank kits you can buy. They come with an ok filter, a hood, and sometimes a heater. Thats good for beginners, but the equipment isn't the best.

I personally wouldn't spend $73 on a 10g tank. I paid about $30 for mine in a kit and just upgraded the equipment which cost maybe another $40. $70 for tank with hood, good filter, and good heater.

If you want live plants, I suggest you go with some small grain gravel. 2-3mm in size is best. You can grow plants in sand, but you have to make sure it doesn't compact. Pool filter sand is a bigger grain sand that is ok for growing plants. I think pool supply stores sell them in 50 lb bags, for maybe $20 or so.

For a 10g, a good stocking is:
6-8 small tetras or harlequin rasboras (no bigger than 2 inches max)
1 betta or dwarf gourami
2-3 ottos, if algae develops

A 10g isn't big enough for a shark or a pleco. The inch per gallon rule doesn't apply to all fish. Some plecos don't get very big, but they are huge waste producers and would quickly foul up the water of a 10g. Smaller tanks are more unstable in terms of water quality also, so its best to keep them understocked.

A 20g long would provide you with more options. You could have a school of tetras, even some of the larger ones (2-3 inches). I'd do a school of tetras, a centerpiece fish such as a honey or dwarf gourami, a male betta, or a pair of rams, and a shoal of small cories (Pygmy, Habrosus, Trilineatus, or Panda). You may have room for a small pleco in a 20g, maybe a bristlenose or a clown pleco, but I'd make sure the tank was understocked before adding one.

Generally, bigger is better, so I'd buy the biggest one you can buy and fit in your apt. The bigger the tank, the more options you have. But, with live plants, the bigger you get, the more light you'll need so you'll have to get another light fixture (more $$$).

Fishkeeping is an expensive hobby, IME, but its always worth it. :)

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Tostada! :n00b:
Fishkeeping is an expensive hobby, IME, but its always worth it
It can be made cheaper with patience and luck. Check around to see if there is a local aquarium society and see if there is an upcoming auction--you never know! Craig's list, ebay, and the local classifieds are great ways to get everything you need for cheap. Not everyone finds AA, and there is like-new equipment out there that some frustrated person is dieing to get rid of.

I used to keep a 10 gal hex. I loved the look, but swimming space is a huge issue. In anything smaller than a 30 gal, I would stay away from anything with the word "shark" in it. It's not just the total size as an adult, but the room they need. As for small semi-schooling fish, pygmy cats are the way to go. They reach an inch or so and are very active.

Definitely check the classifieds. I got my 55g tank and stand for $150 used. I paid around $300 for my current one, new. Big difference.

I also saw an 80g tank and stand in the newspaper for $100...when I called, it was too late.

You can find some good deals in the classifieds.

a sturdy piece of furniture (ie a bureau, desk or sturdy table) can easily hold a small fishtank. My first tank was a 15 gallon and I had it on a small bureau. A rough rule of thumb is that tanks weigh about 10 times their volume in gallons (so a 15 gallon will weight about 150 gallons or so).

I agree that a larger tank is much easier....water parameters stay more stable, more fish choices, and maintenance is about the same. A 15-20gallon tank would be a nice starter size.

Classifieds can be great....try craigslist or ebay....I got my 55 on ebay.

Well, one of the Petsmarts around here has a really nice-looking 30 gal. Oceanic glass hexagon tank for $99.99, so I think I'll probably get that and build a stand for it. The 30 gal. still really doesn't take up that much floorspace.

This is my shopping list so far:

30G Oceanic aquarium w/ hood (15" light): $99.99

15" AquaGlo light: $8.99
Do I need one of these if I'm going to get something like some Moneywort/Hornwort plants? Do they help?

Penguin 150 Bio-Wheel: $18.99
This seems like it'll fit hanging over the back of the hex tank better than anything else, with just enough room for a heater hanging next to it.

Visi-Therm Stealth 100: $17.99
I like the look of this. There isn't a 150W Stealth, but I barely need a heater to begin with. It doesn't look like it actually clips on the tank, though, so I don't know how well it'll attach. I'm thinking of getting a $13.27 Hagen 150W heater that actually hangs over the back (although it looks pretty bad -- you can see the ceramic and coils, and a bunch of wires all jumbled up in it).

25" Python: $23.39
I guess everybody says I need one of these. I can understand it helping change the water, but I'm a little confused about the need to vacuum the gravel so often.

Hagen Elite 801 air pump: $5.29

10' silicone tubing: $2.18

Marineland 8" bubble wand: $3.99

22 lbs. gravel: $12.98

black mirrored background paper: $2.49

So how's that look?

I still need a thermometer, but I haven't seen anything I like. It looks like my options are stick-ons, cheap-looking shiny metal ones, or ridiculously expensive digital ones, and I really don't like any of those.

I really like the way it looks having black sand with dark blue gravel on top of it, but if I'm constantly having to vacuum the gravel, it might get pretty mixed up and look bad. Thoughts?

One problem with the hex tank is that there's not really much space along the back edge, since the back edge is just one of the 6 sides. I think the Bio-Wheel and heater will fit fine back there, though, and then I'll just have to put the backing paper stuff on the one side and you can see through the other 5. Putting the 8" bubble wand at the bottom of the back side might help cover up the heater and stuff ... but now that I think of it, the Bio-Wheel doesn't really hang down very far, so there's not really much of anything that needs covering up, since it's all going to be black on a black background.

JustOneMore20 said:
If you want live plants, I suggest you go with some small grain gravel. 2-3mm in size is best. You can grow plants in sand, but you have to make sure it doesn't compact. Pool filter sand is a bigger grain sand that is ok for growing plants. I think pool supply stores sell them in 50 lb bags, for maybe $20 or so.

Could you explain this a little more? What do you mean by "compacting," and what does that do to the plants? Are you saying the small grain gravel is a good consistancy that keeps the plants anchored down better, or is there more to it?

You know when you step on wet sand and your feet really don't sink much? That's compacting. Basically it will kill the plants roots and prevent them from growing.

I'm currently using three different types of substrate: large gravel (closer to stones than pebbles), small gravel (pebble sized), and pool filter sand. I can honestly say that large gravel from places like Petco, Pets Supplies Plus, etc.....sucks! I don't like it and neither do my plants or fish. The smaller grained gravel (Estes brand) is a good size that will hold down plants rather easily. Looks a bit more "natural" to me. The pool filter sand I bought was 50lbs for $8. Really holds plants well and the roots are growing nicely.

Have fun trying to light a hex, remember it is really deep. It's a real pain for me right now. Trying to find a replacement hood is next to impossible. Going to have to buy a sheet of glass and cut a top for it.

Is there a good black sand that will work with plants? I'm guessing Tahetian Moon Sand is too fine.

Just a couple of quick comments / answers:

The Stealth heater is submersible and attaches inside the tank with suction cups

Check that Python price - looks low. Big Als Online has the 25' for $29. If you got that price at Petsmart it may have just been the extension - just check again to be sure that's it the complete set. you need to gravel vac to eliminate the waste and leftover food which will decay and pollute the tank. You'd be surprised how much and how fast "gunk" accumulates at the bottom of a tank. that's why I went bottomless - no gravel to vacuum ! LOL

Burks is right, trying to light a hex tank to grow plants is a big pain. That 15" bulb is probably only 15 watts or so.....which will only give you 1/2 a watt pre gallon, not enough to grow anything. If you really want a planted tank, stick to the "normal" rectangular tanks as it will be much easier to find an appropriate light. Also beware, though, that almost all stock hoods are not bright enough for anything but the lowest-light plants.

I'm not familiar with Tahitian moon sand....it does look nice, though! If you do want plants, you need enough substrate to fill the bottom of the tank at least 3" deep. EcoComplete is a fantastic plant substrate that is dark brown to black in color, although it is quite pricey.

joannde said:
Check that Python price - looks low.

Petsmart's in-store price is $29.99. Their online price is $23.99.

newfound77951 said:
Burks is right, trying to light a hex tank to grow plants is a big pain. That 15" bulb is probably only 15 watts or so.....which will only give you 1/2 a watt pre gallon, not enough to grow anything. If you really want a planted tank, stick to the "normal" rectangular tanks as it will be much easier to find an appropriate light. Also beware, though, that almost all stock hoods are not bright enough for anything but the lowest-light plants.

I'm not familiar with Tahitian moon sand....it does look nice, though! If you do want plants, you need enough substrate to fill the bottom of the tank at least 3" deep. EcoComplete is a fantastic plant substrate that is dark brown to black in color, although it is quite pricey.

Well, I just really like the look of the 30 gal. Oceanic hex, so I got it today. It's got an all-glass top with a light that sits on top of that, so I'm probably going to make a custom hood that just sits on the glass. The way it's shaped, I could fit 2 x 15" bulbs and 1 x 18" bulb.

I'll probably end up getting the Eco-Complete. Might order it ... Only place that carries it around here wants $30 for 20 lbs.

Great price on the Python - I'm going to see if the store will honor the online price tomorrow - if not I'll just order online - thanks !

joannde said:
Great price on the Python - I'm going to see if the store will honor the online price tomorrow - if not I'll just order online - thanks !

Funny, the python's faucet end looks just like a waterbed fill/drain kit.

The Eco is a nice black color with grain sizes that are similar to small gravel and sand mixed. Another option is Onyx sand. Its grains are a little more like small gravel, I think.

Regular sand compacts causing anaerobic pockets. They form when waste and food get trapped and the sand isn't moved around. This is bad for plants and will cause the roots to rot, as well as hurting the fish. If you go with sand, I suggest either running your fingers or a hanger through it every week, or get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They burrow in the sand and move it around so it doesn't compact.

Hex tanks don't have that much surface area, so you can't have as many fish. They are also hard to light, as mentioned in an above post...but I guess its too late now. You've already bought it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom