Getting started with a betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharpieItBlack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to get a betta. Or at least start planning for one. I'm moving to a new apartment in the next few months so I am waiting until after I move to actually purchase everything so I don't need to stress moving two tanks.

I already have a 30 gallon with one telescope Goldie. I had a battle with him and his health a few months back but after his tank upgrade everything is under control and water conditions are much better.

I know bettas can stand small spaces but have read 5+ gallons is ideal. I was thinking just 5 gallons for one and placing it on top of a book case I have. I want to fill it with black gravel and live plants.
I do have some questions. What plants are best for bettas? And when I do a partial water change and vacuum gravel, how will I stop uprooting plants? Or what is the best way to keep live plants in a fish tank, I have seen in plant pots you get at like Walmart. Should I use potting soil or how will I plant live plants for my betta and any good links for caring for them, like for dead leaves or something.

And now to betta questions, I have naturally high ammonia and nitrates in my water. Can I use the same water conditioner and ammonia remover as I do for my Goldie, or are there special water treatments for bettas. And will these treatments interfere with my live plants?
What about a bubble wall or other air stones, do bettas like bubbles?

And will cycling the tank be the same as with other fish?

Yes, cycling will be the same for a 5 gallon tank as for larger ones. You can continue to use the same water conditioner for all freshwater tanks.

Vacuuming with plants planted in substrate involves regular vacuuming of open water areas, with care taken not to deep clean the gravel near the roots of your planted plants. For the planted areas, you can wave your hand over the plants to loosen up any debris that may be on the leaves, and either your vac or the filter will take it away.

In a 5 gallon tank, you can use just about any plant you want, with the excpetion of those big honking swords (Amazon sword) and vals (jungle val) which will outgrow your tank in nothing flat. Consider some fast growing stem plants like the small hygrophilas, moneywort, pennywort, anacharis, cabomba, rotala, etc., as they will help with your cycle by consuming quite a bit of ammonia and nitrates. Most stem plants can be pinched and the tops replanted when they start getting too tall.

Using potting soil for plants means you have to cap it with something like sand or gravel to keep it from being a floating mess in your tank. If you want to do a dirted tank, use the search feature in the planted tank forum for the word "dirted" and you'll get all sorts of results.

I think you will love planting a tank for your betta!

Bettas appreciate some cover on the water, so many people float some of the stem plants also. If you are going to plant rooted plants, like small swords, you'll need to use a root tab close the spot where you planted the rooted plant. Make sure you bury it deeply, as those suckers start dissolving as soon as they hit the water and can make the water cloudy for a bit if not buried deeply enough. When setting up a new planted tank, I go ahead and bury my root tabs before I add water to the tank.

Awesome thanks! Could I just not use dirt and stick live plants in gravel, will the root okay if I do that?
Also what are root tabs, I've never heard of them. Can I get them at any pet store?
And diet too, I make my own gel food for my goldfish, what are good healthy food options for bettas. I just don't want it to develop health problems from bad food like pellets or something generic.

Yes, you can plant the plants through the gravel into the dirt. Many people do a two stage planting - they dirt the tank (and you have to add enough water to moisten the dirt so you can flatten it and get out the air pockets first - that's why I suggested the search), then plant the plants, then carefully cap the dirt with gravel or sand, then CAREFULLY add water. Also try to stay away from bagged potting soil that has perlite in it - that stuff escapes and floats around all over the place.

But for rooted plants, you are eventually still going to need to fertilze them. Swords in particular are heavy root feeders. ETA: And yes, you can get API root tabs at all the big box stores.

I feed all my bettas Hikari Betta Biogold floating pellets (bettas' eyes are situated such that they look up at the surface for food, although they will follow it down the water column once they see it), supplemented with frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. Bettas are meat eaters. I've tried them on the repashy meat pie gel that I feed my ADFs but it sinks rapidly and none of them seem to be interested. You cut it up in teeny tiny betta mouth sized pieces - they only need a couple of those a day. I guess if I could figure out a way to rig up something to catch the gel closer to the surface of th water and hold it, that might hold their interest for longer - bettas are highly trainable about responding to a specific area of their tank to be fed.

Last edited:
Yes, you can plant the plants through the gravel into the dirt. Many people do a two stage planting - they dirt the tank (and you have to add enough water to moisten the dirt so you can flatten it and get out the air pockets first - that's why I suggested the search), then plant the plants, then carefully cap the dirt with gravel or sand, then CAREFULLY add water. Also try to stay away from bagged potting soil that has perlite in it - that stuff escapes and floats around all over the place.

What type of soil do you suggest for under gravel?

What type of soil do you suggest for under gravel?

Most people use Miracle Gro Choice Organic. I used Target brand organic for about a buck cheaper earlier this week on a vase I planted.

(Killer vase from Target - about a foot tall - holds about 2 1/4 gallons after the substrate and riverstones were added...)

Back
Top Bottom