Ghost eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pyro1313

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a 36 gallon tank with a starfish an 4 damsels in it..I recently went to my local pet store and saw a ghost eel. I was just wondering what types of fish the eel are "compatible" with?

It all depends on the ghost eel personality. Zebra eels are very passive and fish tend to bite them particularly their tales, because they won't fight back. Snowflake are aggressive and will eat anything they can fit in their mouth.

Not only will the ghost eel not do well in a 36 g, they are terribly aggressive. It would kill any fish that would fit in a 36.

They're also not the easiest fish to keep.

Wow, are we thinking of the same moray here, Pseudechidna brummeri? This is hardly a difficult eel, fairly non-aggressive, and although can achieve a lengthy 2'+, it stays relatively thin (under 1" diameter). I've seen them kept in as small as 30g with cardinalfish without worry, but I'd feel better about it in at least a 40Breeder. If you decide on getting this eel, make sure you have a well secured covering and just because they tend to not be voracious predators (seemingly preferring crustaceans - data deficient), don't be surprised if their instincts kick in every now and then ;)

Back
Top Bottom