ghost shrimp breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basefrog said:
I agree with the comments above about Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) as a good beginner breeding choice. To put into perspective I have owned 10 RCS for a little over one week and one has already got eggs! Though good luck with what ever you choose to breed if you do =D

And I have a couple ghost shrimp but I'm getting a couple rcs soon and I accidentally killed a couple of my gs by pouring rock in there:/

Wait- moss balls? Well wouldn't this render the moss incapable of pro-creation? But seriously the rate of growth is totally amazingly slow, something like 1 cm per 5 years. They are federally protected in parts of Asia where they come from. I'm a moss-ologist today.

Nreal said:
Wait- moss balls? Well wouldn't this render the moss incapable of pro-creation? But seriously the rate of growth is totally amazingly slow, something like 1 cm per 5 years. They are federally protected in parts of Asia where they come from. I'm a moss-ologist today.
That's crazy slow haha

Another question- where do the most healthy Cherry Shrimps come from? I am checking on ebay and in this cold- they would be used as shrimp-sickles. Also- I have seen a price of 30 for say, $1each Ora bit less- if I see 100 for 19.95 is it a safe bet that there may be flaws or sickly or ???

Oh I wanted to say that anybody (myself included) that wants to start a shrimp army and breed them, a Gerald way to keep the other fish from enjoying shrimp for supper is by getting a little contraption by which the preggers are in one small tank and as they eggs fall they are pushed (by way of a air pump mixing with water to create a gentle vacuum) into a smaller tank all to themselves-and it hooks onto your aquarium of any size. Oh what was that of glowing shrimp? I thought I did come across some species which are bio-luminescent no need of black light. I need to research that, though more fun to hear stories and experience with said creatures.

Nreal said:
Another question- where do the most healthy Cherry Shrimps come from? I am checking on ebay and in this cold- they would be used as shrimp-sickles. Also- I have seen a price of 30 for say, $1each Ora bit less- if I see 100 for 19.95 is it a safe bet that there may be flaws or sickly or ???

IMO I wouldn't trust eBay but you could get them from live aquaria. Com kinda expensive tho

There are plenty of hobbyists here and on aquabid that are selling RCS for around $1 each give or take. With this weather it might be best to find someone local, or just wait for a warm spell.

The best way to breed RCS is to keep a species tank.

Oh I'm establishing one at the moment. I have a 10gal, a rimless 5gal, a starter 2 gal and a 55 gal that I don't want to fill as after re-siliconing ALL angles, I found a bubble... So what is the consensus on silicone over dried silicone for added stability? I really love the razor blades and scraping in a box of glass just so much- but after it said (in the tiniest writing) "not for aquariums over 30 gal or 18" in height" so I'm stuck looking at it and getting anxiety about the $20,000 in damage it may do. So back to shrimpers, I want to buy them and I understand they have a near zero bio-load on the aquarium they are in. How many to get for a 10 gal?

Nreal said:
Oh I'm establishing one at the moment. I have a 10gal, a rimless 5gal, a starter 2 gal and a 55 gal that I don't want to fill as after re-siliconing ALL angles, I found a bubble... So what is the consensus on silicone over dried silicone for added stability? I really love the razor blades and scraping in a box of glass just so much- but after it said (in the tiniest writing) "not for aquariums over 30 gal or 18" in height" so I'm stuck looking at it and getting anxiety about the $20,000 in damage it may do. So back to shrimpers, I want to buy them and I understand they have a near zero bio-load on the aquarium they are in. How many to get for a 10 gal?

The usual stocking rate is about 10 shrimp per gallon of water. I know some people on here stock to about 20 per gallon, but thats not the best decision in my opinion:) them again, I don't really advise 100 in a 10G either lol

Nreal said:
Oh I wanted to say that anybody (myself included) that wants to start a shrimp army and breed them, a Gerald way to keep the other fish from enjoying shrimp for supper is by getting a little contraption by which the preggers are in one small tank and as they eggs fall they are pushed (by way of a air pump mixing with water to create a gentle vacuum) into a smaller tank all to themselves-and it hooks onto your aquarium of any size. Oh what was that of glowing shrimp? I thought I did come across some species which are bio-luminescent no need of black light. I need to research that, though more fun to hear stories and experience with said creatures.

Do you know how to set one up? Or the video in which you saw this?! I would love to set this up for some ghost shrimp!

Austin.b said:
Do you know how to set one up? Or the video in which you saw this?! I would love to set this up for some ghost shrimp!

I honestly have sort of an idea (or sort of not?) but my major concern is plants, co2 and lighting- AND keeping all levels in check on a low budget. I've spent a lot getting the 55 gal (UVcleaners, led lighting, ATO, canister filter, in line heater, titanium heater--glass heaters always break on me (ie yesterday lost one due to gravity and flooring) and misc. connections pumps tubing and sorta want to just chill a bit and work on a smaller project. I am not a novice, though it has been years since I have used the 55 as a salt water world.

Austin.b said:
Hi, glad you found us here at AA! I have a 10G as a ghost shrimp breeding tank. Females are much larger than the males. When they are preggers, you can easily tell. They will have a bunch of tiny eggs where there swimmerets are. When they are pregnant with the eggs, it's called being "berried" ghost shrimp baby's are harde to raise bec. They go through a larval stage where it's difficult to feed them. If you wan to raise them, you will nee a very mature tank and some plants. IMO, a dying plant is also a good idea too. The larva eat infusoria (if I'm not mistaken) my GS tank has been set up for about 6 months and I've never seen one of my females not pregnant. With that being said, I've only successfully raised 2 ghost shrimp in those 5 months. If you really want to get into shrimp, you should start with RCS (red cherry shrimp) they are pretty cheap and very hardy. Just PM me if you have any questions:) good luck!!

How long do they usually hold the eggs? I have had several pregnant female GS that get big, disappear I into a cave and all the eggs are gone. Will keeping the female in a breeder help?

How long do they usually hold the eggs? I have had several pregnant female GS that get big, disappear I into a cave and all the eggs are gone. Will keeping the female in a breeder help?

i think for about a month, if im not mistaken. IMO, no. it will only stress her out. the best chances your ghost shrimp babies have, is to be in the actual tank gravel.

Austin.b said:
i think for about a month, if im not mistaken. IMO, no. it will only stress her out. the best chances your ghost shrimp babies have, is to be in the actual tank gravel.

You sure bro? Ghost shrimp are born VERY VERY small, and they usually get eaten by their parents and the other fish in the tank. I put 2 preggo shrimp in the breeder net, watched them give birth, then put them back in the tank so they wouldnt eat their young. Put tons of java moss in there as well. This is just my experience, lol im not the invert expert that austinb is :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
You sure bro? Ghost shrimp are born VERY VERY small, and they usually get eaten by their parents and the other fish in the tank. I put 2 preggo shrimp in the breeder net, watched them give birth, then put them back in the tank so they wouldnt eat their young. Put tons of java moss in there as well. This is just my experience, lol im not the invert expert that austinb is :)

Yeah, they go through a larval stage. Your right though, I was just thinking of a predator free tank. I think he said a breeder box as in plastic, not the the mesh net. Im my old ghost shrimp tank I had pretty large gravel, and a lot of it. The babies would fall through the rock substrate and live there for a while, free from danger. I don't think ghost shrimp will eat their young, but I know they are an aggressive shrimp. Haha I wish I was an expert, thanks!!

Nu-Nu the eel said:

Austin.b said:
Yeah, they go through a larval stage. Your right though, I was just thinking of a predator free tank. I think he said a breeder box as in plastic, not the the mesh net. Im my old ghost shrimp tank I had pretty large gravel, and a lot of it. The babies would fall through the rock substrate and live there for a while, free from danger. I don't think ghost shrimp will eat their young, but I know they are an aggressive shrimp. Haha I wish I was an expert, thanks!!

Thanks guys. We will see if the breeder box will work, she's already in there as cleanup crew for my guppy fry. Do the eggs look any different before they go the larval stage?

Joebt said:
Thanks guys. We will see if the breeder box will work, she's already in there as cleanup crew for my guppy fry. Do the eggs look any different before they go the larval stage?

Breeder box as in plastic box or large square net? I can't say for sure, as I've never seen the larva in the tank.

Yes. I haven't seen much stress, but I usually turn the light off immediately after I put the fish/shrimp in, and I have live plants they can hide in. Inside the box.

Back
Top Bottom