Ghost Shrimp Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atlantis

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I was at my LFS two days ago I got 4 ghost shrimp. Do I need to feed them a certain food or will they just eat the waste on the bottom of the tank?

They'll eat leftover fish food; no need to feed them anything special. Just make sure your fish don't eat em when they molt!

I have a bunch of baby/half grown Ghosts in my tank.

They eat ANYTHING that ends up on the bottom of the tank.

Flake food, Pellet Food, ANYTHING.

Thats why I love them, Their great at keeping the bottom spick and span :D

Okay, so what if you have no other fish in the tank?
I just got 5 ghost shrimp to put in this tank I have. I had my white clouds in it, but it was mirrored in the back and they were drving themselves crazy. So, I was told that any fish I put in there will pretty much be the same way.
So, i have opted for a crab, some ghost shrimp and apple snails. So, what should I feed? Since there is no left over fish food.

My crabs like shrimp pellets.

However, since your tank appears to be mostly bottom feeders, any bottom feeding/sinking food should be just fine.

OK, I was pretty sure they would just eat the leftovers but wasn't sure if I had to feed them anything special.

Nope, they'll just act as cleanup crew for whatever your other fish leave behind pretty much no matter what you feed your fish.

As far as flakes and pellets and such go. I don't know about things like Tubifex or Blood worms, tho.

Mine will launch themselves off of plant leaves and catch dropping flakes and especially bloodworms. They act just like the fish, except they have to swim a lot harder to stay in with the fish to catch the food! This is after they completely eliminated my hair algae. :D

Okay, quick question on the molting mentioned.
How can I tell if the shrimp is dead or if it was his molting???
It sounds stupid, but I have never had these.... so i don't know what I am looking for.

If it is his molted exoskeleton then it will be vacuumed up our netted out. If it is a dead one it will be vacuumed up or netted out :wink:

Usually the molted skin is extremely flimsy and appears hollow. Generally the dead shrimp actually look pink, like a cooked shrimp you would eat, at least for the shrimp I have kept. In my case, they either die relatively soon after being introduced, or they soldier on for a remarkably long time.

Back
Top Bottom