Ghost Shrimp Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice! I love those little shrimp! I have two in my 10 gal and 3 japanese clear shrimp (bigger version) in my 55 gal.
Glad to hear yours are doing well!

janky said:
Nice! I love those little shrimp! I have two in my 10 gal and 3 japanese clear shrimp (bigger version) in my 55 gal.
Glad to hear yours are doing well!

Thank you! :) my first go round with shrimp... So far so good

Thank you! :) my first go round with shrimp... So far so good

Right on. I think you'll like em... they're really easy :D

The other day I thought one died cause I saw a shrimp laying there all white and busted up, and a couple days later I counted all 3 of them on the driftwood. I was like whaaaaaaaaat!?! and my gf explained to me that they shed their skin lol.... I was mind-blown :lol:

janky said:

The other day I thought one died cause I saw a shrimp laying there all white and busted up, and a couple days later I counted all 3 of them on the driftwood. I was like whaaaaaaaaat!?! and my gf explained to me that they shed their skin lol.... I was mind-blown :lol:

Don't forget to leave the skin in the tank because they eat it to regain some of the lost calcium:)

janky said:

Yea... I've found all 3 molts so far. One was eating one one day.. And one I sucked up in a PWC

Ewwwwwwww HAHA! Saw the biggest shrimps molt laying on it's back all legs bobbing in the flow! Soooo gross! The shrimp looks extra shiny ... I left the molt where it was... The shrimp are flying and bouncing all over the tank this afternoon.., I can see them across the room!

I moved my 3 shrimp into my 29g with my mollies & betta... I watch them EATING the fish waste!! Is this normal? Or does it mean my fish are eating very healthy food and there is somehow still nutrients in the poo?

My amano shrimp are most definitely poo eaters. That would be a great thing, except that they leave more poo themselves than they clean up..... :rolleyes:

LyndaB said:
My amano shrimp are most definitely poo eaters. That would be a great thing, except that they leave more poo themselves than they clean up..... :rolleyes:

I just took all the decorations and fish out of my 29g to clean very well... Only leaving the shrimp in there... Well, I'm used to a lot more waste in the gravel from these poop machine mollies... I last gravel vacuumed 9 days ago. But there wasn't very much.. There was however "dust/poo clouds" going up the siphon tube...
Everyone is put back with an 80% PWC.
All is well and everyone is swimming happily... As well as the shrimp who are jumping and swimming around. :)

If I had known they would eat poo I would have gotten some for this tank long ago to assist me with it all. :-D

I've sold a Molly juvie and moved my female Black Molly to another tank, so down to:
4 mollies, a Betta, an Oto, and 3 shrimp in the 29g.
I like it... Will be more manageable.

ocminpin said:
I just took all the decorations and fish out of my 29g to clean very well... Only leaving the shrimp in there... Well, I'm used to a lot more waste in the gravel from these poop machine mollies... I last gravel vacuumed 9 days ago. But there wasn't very much.. There was however "dust/poo clouds" going up the siphon tube...
Everyone is put back with an 80% PWC.
All is well and everyone is swimming happily... As well as the shrimp who are jumping and swimming around. :)

If I had known they would eat poo I would have gotten some for this tank long ago to assist me with it all. :-D

I've sold a Molly juvie and moved my Black Molly to another tank, so down to:
4 mollies, a Betta, an Oto, and 3 shrimp in the 29g.
I like it... Will be more manageable.

What fish did you say eats poo?

Ryleyman said:
You seen them eat poo?

Yes... Not only what they find but I've seen it fall from my Molly and the shrimp dart after it and run around like mad with it and settle in a spot and eat it... Can see it inside them...

ocminpin said:
Yes... Not only what they find but I've seen it fall from my Molly and the shrimp dart after it and run around like mad with it and settle in a spot and eat it... Can see it inside them...

Im going to be getting 8 on Tuesday thanks for the info:)

Back
Top Bottom