Ghost Shrimp Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrimp are detritivores, as in they eat detritus. That includes fish poop. Some people say that shrimp don't eat poop but I don't know why they say it. I think it most often comes up when someone wants to stock shrimp solely for that purpose.

jetajockey said:
Shrimp are detritivores, as in they eat detritus. That includes fish poop. Some people say that shrimp don't eat poop but I don't know why they say it. I think it most often comes up when someone wants to stock shrimp solely for that purpose.

I was surprised and wondered if something was wrong with them and I was doing something wrong. Haha..
I moved the shrimp in there from my 20g because they were catching and eating older healthy fry... The shrimp unfortunately was faster!

Well, after the demise of your fry I'm not getting any ghosts
I'd be devastated if my fry were eaten

emerald76 said:
Well, after the demise of your fry I'm not getting any ghosts
I'd be devastated if my fry were eaten

This is my first batch if ghost shrimp.... Just noticed my first berried female yesterday...

ocminpin said:
This is my first batch if ghost shrimp.... Just noticed my first berried female yesterday...

Congrats on the berried female! I've. Hear the shrimplets are veeery hard to raise

Yep they're most likely going to perish lol.

You need a type of sponge filter, no other fish and probably to remove all ghosties.

emerald76 said:
Congrats on the berried female! I've. Hear the shrimplets are veeery hard to raise

MABJ said:
Yep they're most likely going to perish lol.

You need a type of sponge filter, no other fish and probably to remove all ghosties.

I'm thinking it's probably not worth the time and money... As much fun as it would be from all I've read I would have very little success even doing that.

I think one day I'll try RCS... Those babies are born as mini versions of the adults, right? .. Better luck there with less headache.

I went to the lfs and they had like 5 berried ghost shrimp long with 5 other ones.i bought and like 90 % are gone already.my koi is too fast and hungry :(

What should I put in my tank for the shrimp to hide in?river rocks?more plant cover?anyone?

ocminpin said:
I'm thinking it's probably not worth the time and money... As much fun as it would be from all I've read I would have very little success even doing that.

I think one day I'll try RCS... Those babies are born as mini versions of the adults, right? .. Better luck there with less headache.

That is correct :) very interesting. It's a better way of breeding for aquariums at least. So go RCS lol!

Natetrix said:
What should I put in my tank for the shrimp to hide in?river rocks?more plant cover?anyone?

Lol.. Any fish that can fit a shrimp in its mouth will eat it. There's no stopping that.

Plants and such will be better cover than decorations.

Noticed I have at least 2 ghost shrimps that appear to be about a month old. I hope they are big enuf not to be eaten by the guppies now and they should be able to eat regular food. Have had ghost shrimps now for 9 months. The shrimp reproduction is equal to their death rate..so far. The berried shrimp I presently have was born in my tank.

I just tried fiddler crabs too, but my koi ate them both within an hour :/ He just can't share his tank

Natetrix said:
I just tried fiddler crabs too, but my koi ate them both within an hour :/ He just can't share his tank

Also, fiddlers are brackish. Don't keep them in FW, nor fully submersed.

**** lfs is horrible for advice.they told me they would be fine in my tank.

They just want to make a quick buck off you :\

Fiddlers will only survive in a half water, half land setup with half salt water.

Goldfish need 20 gals for the first fish and 10 gals for each additional goldie after.

Your crabs probably died then the goldfish ate them lol.

The first one got torn apart as soon as I dropped it in the tank lol

ocminpin said:
My shrimp is berried! Whoo HOO! Little green floating balls inside her

Edit: pic!!

I bought a pregnant ghost shrimp a few weeks ago. She had her babies. I've never seen them. I figured they didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom