Ghost Shrimp holding eggs? Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was peering into my 29g tank last night and I spotted a large ghost shrimp holding what appear to be eggs. What happens now? I know nothing about shrimp and their reprodcution.

My other question is what do I do about cleaning the tank? Its sand based so I use a siphon and just stir up a little of the sand but will I suck up the babies? Would I be better off just scooping out some water for now when I need to do my PWC?

:thanks:

About the shrimp. I have kept ghost shrimp and had one pregnant shrimp and put her in a breeding cage. After the eggs hatched the larvae were released and slowly slipped though the cracks in the breeding trap and were never seems again. In my experience I believe ghost shrimp larvae need brackish water to survive. Unlike cherry shrimp ghost shrimp eggs hatch into larvae and need a separate tank with no current. I could probably help you if you wanted to keep the babies but otherwise the larvae will be eaten or die. Some people say you can breed them in fresh water but in my experience they die!

Ok, thanks! I'm not going to be disappointed if the lavae don't make it. I didn't want to purposely do anything to kill them but if they can't survive in freshwater then I am not going to mess with them. I've done a salt tank and its too much work IMO so I don't want to try brackish.

Yup some people say freshwater works other say brackish. Filters will easily suck them up plus they can't stand the current. More importantly they need infusoria as food I believe. I've notice while keeping ghost shrimp if you have a large female that is huge compared to the other shrimp she will kill all other shrimp in the tank and eat them... Which is actually kind of cool to watch IMO :)

Yeah she is big compared to the others. There is little current in my tank due to the Betta but yeah if they don't make it oh well. I won't be getting anymore I don't think.

I do like ghost shrimp though they are quite fun to watch, hope I helped!

Oh yes you did help. I was worried I'd have shrimplets coming out my ears! lol I read on another thread that ghost shrimp can take down sleeping fish. That worried me and that's why I don't want anymore.

Lol I wouldn't worry about that they are mostly peaceful unless the female gets bigger than an inch then id remove her. With ghost shrimp the bigger the more aggressive/territorial.

Ok, I'll keep an eye on her and take her out if she gets bigger. I'm really attached to my Betta so I'd be very upset if he was hurt by a shrimp! :)

I feel the same about my betta! My girlfriend gave me him a year ago on my bday when he was just a baby now he's all grown up and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom