Ghost Shrimp is pregnant. . . Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UniqueTalent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I got two ghost shrimp that are pregnant and I wanted to put them in my two way breeder with my pregnant guppy that will be separated, if that's good. . . OR should I just leave them with my 10 guppies and with four other ghost shrimp?

That's my setup with my fish tank for now. . . Any advice (Pros or Cons) would be helpful to make my fish happy!

Attachments

• IMG00186-20120407-1807.jpg
    IMG00186-20120407-1807.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG00188-20120407-1815.jpg
    IMG00188-20120407-1815.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 706
If you leave the pregnant shrimp with the guppies the probability that the larvae will be fish food is VERY HIGH! The ghost shrimp babies are born with no legs and will just swim around waiting to be picked off one by one. The only chance IMO is to keep them by themselves and even then the water has to be just right. I had a pregnant ghost shrimp and once the eggs were released, they were eaten up very quickly!

Many Ghost Shrimp need brackish water for their offspring to survive. Most Ghost Shrimp can't breed in freshwater. And raising them is not at all easy. Occasionally someone will get babies. Read up on them if you want to try to breed GS, but don't count on it. Sorry.

Many Ghost Shrimp need brackish water for their offspring to survive. Most Ghost Shrimp can't breed in freshwater. And raising them is not at all easy. Occasionally someone will get babies. Read up on them if you want to try to breed GS, but don't count on it. Sorry.

+1.

If you want to have a go at it, you can slowly raise salinity, but with guppies, they'll be fish food fast. They have a stage, unlike RCS, where after they're born they hang upsidedown in the middle of the water column. They're still very quick, but they are no match for a fish or an intake tube.

Back
Top Bottom