Giant rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazymom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I gathered some nice big, flat granite rip rap rocks from outside and scrubbed them really well all over with a toothbrush in a bucket of water. I made some nice little caves and such in my tank...and am wondering if rocks leach minerals or anythink like that? I hope all my fish aren't dead tomorrow. What do you think? It really looks good just hope it is safe.

Prior to using any rocks that I find outside, I let them soak in a bleach/water solution for a day or so and bring them to the carwash. The pressure from the carwash gets rid of any debris that may be on the rock. And the bleach usually kills off any bacteria or any other nasty stuff that may be attached to the rock.

And some rocks do leach minerals into the water. I use limestone because it does leach minerals that help to raise the ph level for my African Cichlids.

If the rock has some red on it does that mean it's rusty? Rust is bad, right?
Dooooh, I know but it looks so pretty in the tank...also some yellow/orange looking spots. What do you think? I don't have strong acid and don't want to use it, I do have vinegar.

One of those wash it yourself carwashes that you see on everyother street corner. They all have pressure sprayers. The pressure helps to clean them.

krazymom said:
If the rock has some red on it does that mean it's rusty?

It means it either has some red clay stuck to the outside that can be rinsed off..ROFL.. JK or Iron deposits..

krazymom said:
Dooooh, I know but it looks so pretty in the tank...also some yellow/orange looking spots.

I cant remember what is yellow.. but orange has some iron as well..

krazymom said:
I don't have strong acid and don't want to use it, I do have vinegar.

Vinegar should work but the bubbling will not be as visible..

Greenmagi, whatcha waitin for? When you gonna get your tank up again?

AA is taking up all my time!!! ROFL!!
I am addicted to AA!! is there a support group? LOL :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom