GIANT super delta betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khrisNkyersten

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is a GIANT super delta betta?

I bought a beautiful betta today (pics soon after he acclimates and is doing well...hopefully!) and he was marked as a "GIANT super delta betta".

Confused about what that is, since I've never seen it before. But he is beautiful!

I've heard of giant plakats, so I'm guessing they managed to get a super delta tail bred into the larger sized Bettas. Awesome! It's just a strain of bigger Bettas established through selective breeding.

They get huge. Hopefully you have him in a 10 gal tank or larger.

oh my!! I had no idea bettas could be bigger than normal!! he is so beautiful though, that's really exciting. other than a bigger home, I wonder if he needs other kinds of special care such as feeding and etc?

woh,that is one huge betta. i have no experience with fiant bettas,but i would imagine that they have the same needs as a regular betta(food,water temp,etc). just more food

He is a beautiful boy. I hope he does well! I've never had such a unique betta before. I guess he is fairly young since he seems to be about "normal" size of a regular betta right now. I can't wait to see what he ends up looking like!

Since we are on the topic of bettas..... I want to ask a dumb question... How is it that bettas survive without filtration systems. My wife has one that is in with a plant and I haven't changed the water in a long time but he seems to be doing goodwould you recommend changing him over to a filtered tank?.

randy86 said:
Since we are on the topic of bettas..... I want to ask a dumb question... How is it that bettas survive without filtration systems. My wife has one that is in with a plant and I haven't changed the water in a long time but he seems to be doing goodwould you recommend changing him over to a filtered tank?.

Yes he should be. The reason he has survived is because bettas have a very high tolerance to ammonia nitrites and nitrates. They can also survive in low oxygen environments by taking air from the surface. But surviving isnt thriving

Definitely give him a filter! They need good water just like any other fish. They can withstand poorer water for a short time because they can also breathe air from the surface. And, wow, that betta is HUGE!

Alyxx I appreciate the info I will .look in to getting him one ASAP

oh my!! I had no idea bettas could be bigger than normal!! he is so beautiful though, that's really exciting. other than a bigger home, I wonder if he needs other kinds of special care such as feeding and etc?
Same care, just more food.
They can survive in water that isn't well oxygenated because they don't just get oxygen with their gills like most fish, but they also rise to the surface and use the labyrinth organ on the top of their head to get oxygen (this is the case with all betta and gourami species). While a filter is never a bad thing, a single betta in a planted tank of atleast a few gallons w/o a filter, that you do weekly water changes on, will do just fine. I've kept bettas in this type of set up w/o there ever being any ammonia or nitrite present after the inital cycling. A filter isn't always a must to have a cycled tank.

IMO a heater is more important. Bettas are very susceptible to illness if the temperature swings. They will thrive at 80. If your bettas water isn't heated, I would make that priority over the filter. But, first and foremost, you need to be performing regular partial water changes.

Last edited:
He was $20 :) Which wasn't bad....because I love him!

I don't think I'm going to invest in a filter for him (or my other betta) right now...like siva said, I think the heater is the TOP priority. And some plants, yummy food/treats, and enough space :) He has such looooongggg fins that he may just get blown around by a filter anyway.

Okay I'll post a picture in a little bit....it's one of him in a holding bowl so he doesn't look his best, I'll have to get better pictures of him when he's settled into his planted 5.5 gallon with his heater. I love his colors and personality, he's a sweetie.

He isn't fully flared so you can't see his "super delta" betta fins as well, but here is a quick picture of him until he gets settled into his tank for some better pictures.

Attachments

• 100_2070.jpg
    100_2070.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 154
Back
Top Bottom