Glass Top...Keep or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should i Keep Glass tops?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (not that i expect and other, but if you have one let me know)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have yet to see and column fish that if it gets spooked that won't jump. Swords, cories, platties, loaches, plecos, tetras and guppies have all jumped on me.

The real issue is the fact that the bulbs put out heat and the splashing of water can fracture the bulbs and cause them to break over time or simply shatter on a big splash. Take the covers off if you want and put a glass cover in your DIY hood but protect the bulbs for water I would say at any cost.

Just wanted to say that because of this thread, I'm trying no glass top on my 29g. :D My plants have been slowly declining, so I thought I'd try taking the glass top off. Its only been a day, so I'm not sure how much better it will be for the plants. I have a Coralife fixture though...so it has an acrylic cover.

I'd be most worried about the bulbs being exposed.

I have to have a cover on my 55g though...my Yoyo loaches are jumpers (well, just one, but I don't want to chance it again). And that was with stock glass tops/plastic front. One side has the plastic lift up hood broken off so there is about a 4 inch gap...and the darn loach somehow made it out of there (it survived :)). So, I'll be investing in some real glass tops soon.

Back
Top Bottom