glitter in the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ginabetta017

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i washed out my whole tank because my betta had gotten sick in it. i washex everything out with hot water. nothing else. i put new water in did my water treatments and when i turned on the filter i noticed that there was glitter from the gravel all threw the water.... is that going to harm my fish? im thinking it will and i should probably wash my tank untill that shops happening. but then again idk if thats normal. btw everything is new, gravel, tank, decor. ive never used new gra val before so idk if this is normal. common sense is telling me its not.

Need more info....
Like exactly what kind of sand substrate it is and when your betta was sick were there any medication used in treatment?

1.5 gallon tank, treated fish for velvet, fin rot, amonia poisoning, and sbd. using distilled water and aquarium salt. it has a whisper filter system. i used jungle all in one treatment for his sickness. hes fine now but im trying to get the tank better so he can leave his hospital tank. the gravel is aquarium gravel.

I was wonderin the same thing LindaB. The only thing i could come up with is some sand has fine silicate granules and if the light hits it a certain way it could sparkle?. If so its probably harmless.

lol all good. im on my phone so its hard to understand me, auto correct is not my friend

Is it that cheap-butt carnival color gravel? That's all painted and the paint chips right off. I don't see how they consider that particular gravel healthy to use with live animals.

Just so you know, there's not many species that are going to thrive in 1.5 gallons. Maybe some red cherry shrimp or a snail or two, but that's it. It's WAY too small for your fish, which is most likely why you've been battling disease so much.

You also should not be using distilled water for home aquariums. What's wrong with your tap water?

i live in fl its the worst water ever ive killed more fish with tap then with bottled

Back
Top Bottom