glo fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bergy42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all...I was just wondering how well glo fish would work in a 5 gallon tank. Let me know! =]

5 gallons is too small for Glofish. You would need at least a 10 gallon.

A glofish is a genetically modified Zebra Danio. They need to be kept in a school of at least 5-6 fish. They grow to about 2 inches.

A good rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon. So if you had 5-6 zebra danios(Glo Fish) this would be 10-12 inches in only a 5 gallon tank. They would not be happy, die, be prone to disease, and it wouldn't be any fun for anyone.

The inch per gallon guideline should be ignored IMO. It far too often leads folks in the wrong direction. By that logic, you could keep a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank.

Glofish are not suitable for a 5 gallon tank. They are really active and need more room to swim than what a 5 gallon allows. A 10 gallon is on the small side too, these danios would be much happier in a 20 gallon.

The inch per gallon guideline should be ignored IMO. It far too often leads folks in the wrong direction. By that logic, you could keep a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank.

Glofish are not suitable for a 5 gallon tank. They are really active and need more room to swim than what a 5 gallon allows. A 10 gallon is on the small side too, these danios would be much happier in a 20 gallon.

+2

www.aqaadvisor.com works better than the 1 inch per gallon rule. In the case of the zebra danios the 1 inch of fish per gallon is perfect though.:2gunfire:

This is just me, but I'm kind of against the glofish. They inject dye into them. And that's just not right to me. But they do need a bigger tank.

This is just me, but I'm kind of against the glofish. They inject dye into them. And that's just not right to me. But they do need a bigger tank.
They don't inject dye. They do some kind of genetic alteration with jelly fish genes to make them glow (even though now they're just offspring of the originally genetically altered fish). They were actually originally bred to detect pollutants in the water. Now, tattooing fish OTOH is a different story... that's more along the lines of what you're talking about.

EDIT: Here's a link to the GloFish official site:http://www.glofish.com/faq.asp#TheScienceofGloFish

To the OP... The only fish I would even consider for a 5g tank would be a betta...

they do not inject dye into them they were genetically changed they are a cross from a daino and a jellyfish from what I have been told on this form.
I do however agree that they need a lot of swimming room.

Aqadvisor should be used for entertainment purposes only IMO. There is no mathematical formula for stocking that is going to work better than research and common sense.

Fish I'd recommend for a 5 gallon include sparkling gouramis, chili rasboras, phoenix rasboras, celestial pearl danios, lampeye killifish, ember tetras. Not all those species, obviously. :p

+2

www.aqaadvisor.com works better than the 1 inch per gallon rule. In the case of the zebra danios the 1 inch of fish per gallon is perfect though.:2gunfire:
Aqadvisor is a joke IMHO.

To the bolded statement, you just can't say that. It may be OK in certain cases, but definitely not in a 5g tank. In a 20g long or larger tank (that's not a hex or some other ridiculously designed tank) that would probably be fine, but not in smaller tanks. Danios are very active fish that require plenty of swimming room.

So what kind of fish can go in a 3 gallon tank? Cause my roomy had a male betta and two guppies.

Back
Top Bottom