Glolight Tetra Egg Advise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was gone this weekend, and when I came back, i found one of my female tetra thinner than usual, and small patches of white beads on the leaves of some of the plants in my tank. Are these glolight tetra eggs, or some fungi? And if they are eggs, what shall I do from here
The eggs aren't more than 2 days old at most.

I was gone this weekend, and when I came back, i found one of my female tetra thinner than usual, and small patches of white beads on the leaves of some of the plants in my tank. Are these glolight tetra eggs, or some fungi? And if they are eggs, what shall I do from here
The eggs aren't more than 2 days old at most.

Unfortunately, Tetra eggs are photo sensitive so if they have been under light and are white in color, they are probably dead. ( Good eggs are a clear round orb.)
If you want to try and breed them, next time, you should put them into a separate tank to breed with small/fine leaved plants with dim/ subdued lighting. ( I bred my Tetras near a North facing window so that the only light was indirect light from the window.) Remove the parents once they have spawned. You'll need to grow some infusoria for the fry to feed on until they are big enough for other foods.
Hope this helps (y)

Hey, thank you very much! I'm a sad they died, but glad I know what to do next time! Just wondering, but what conditions make them spawn?

Hey, thank you very much! I'm a sad they died, but glad I know what to do next time! Just wondering, but what conditions make them spawn?

usually, it takes soft, acidic water to get them to want to breed. Followed up with a water change with slightly cooler water than they are in. This simulates the rainfall that is a natural indicator for most fish that it's time to spawn.
I did my Tetras in a separate breeding tank. Glo-lites, Neons and such were bred in 5 to 7 1/2 gal tanks with the larger Tetras in 10 gals and larger depending on the type. The breeding tank would be set up about a day or two before I wanted to spawn the fish and the water would be even older (that I kept in containers to "season.") I'd also keep my sexes in separate tanks. This would make the desire to spawn even greater when the fish were reintroduced. Once done, the parents were removed back to their tanks and the spawning tank would be left in the dark. After about 3 days, I would let some outside light in so I could check the tank for fry. After about a week total time, the fry should be up and swimming so more light could be used.
( Yes, you are basically sacrificing the plants that they spawned on/in but the decaying plants will produce infusoria cultures which the Tetra fry need to eat as a first food so it's a good trade off. )

That's about it in a nutshell (y)

What do the eggs look like? I have some glo fish this morning I looked at my tank and there was this white stuff on my plants. I thought at first it was some kind of cotton that got in my tank. Then I found 3 more spots in other areas of the tank. They look like white milky color, kinda weightless that move with the current in the tank. In patches around the decor plants in tank.

Back
Top Bottom