Glossostigma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, turns out I found out some "Stigmas" Toward growing plants.

You may already know I've finally worked myself up into a planted discus tank. Piece by piece over the last 2 years really. I ended up getting them in April, they are now doing well.

Also, about 6 months ago, I built my own LED fixture.

Stat's of the Light Fixture:

12 X Cree XP-G R5 Cool White LEDs
Meanwell Dimmable driver

Currently running the LED's at 1100mah, Their max is 1500, my driver can go to 1300 mAh.

Now< i don't have a PAR meter. what I do know is that each LED puts out around 360lm per bulb, so i have a total of output of 4320lm on my 75 gallon tank. Not sure if that helps any!

Basically, I want to know what "light" tank my tank would qualify, and if there's any hope of me building a carpet of glosso with this.

Also, While at Big Al's, I was told that "No plant will grow in 85 degree water"

Considering my tank has been at 85 for the better part of a year, and I haven't bought a plant in 2 years... I think I'm bucking the trend. He also said that discus flourish in water around 80-82, and that their natural habitat is actually 76-78 degrees. I'm not gonna mess around with my tank, but I was VERY confused.

Anywho, Do I have a shot and growing this?

In 30 years I've never messed with Glosso but can tell you there are plants that handle 84F quite well. Here is a link to warm water plants from where I buy my plants from.... Warm Water/Discus Plants. I know there are other plants that will handle the higher temps you'll just have to do alittle research. I kept a few Discus in the 80's and had plants, its just been too long to remember besides the swords what I had.... lol.

Hrmmm funny enough, the plants I do have, are on this list! Exception I think is my Anubis, but its growing like a weed. Need to figure out how to split it without killing it.

Hrmmm funny enough, the plants I do have, are on this list! Exception I think is my Anubis, but its growing like a weed. Need to figure out how to split it without killing it.

That's easy, just decide where you want to divide/split the rhizome and make a clean cut through it making it into 2 plants instead of one. Just be sure you have leaves and roots on each side of the rhizome. This method has always worked for me.

Oh cool! I think i'm going to get a nice piece of driftwood to attach it to. Maybe plant it under my Hygros to slow down the algae that tends to collect on the leaves.

Still wondering what "Light" my tank is with my LED's though. I keep reading about PAR, PUR...

This calculator HELPS... but I still don't know what a PAR rating vs Watts per gallon really does. Light Calculator

All I know is that since getting MY LED fixture up and running, algae has been growing like mad, and my plants have been growing faster than with 108 watts T5HO.

Also, the calculator has my exact LED, but it says 350mAh Current. I'm running at 1100mAh, which is about 250-260% more light output according to the LED spec Sheet from Cree.

I suppose I can mount Optics (already owned) to really get the light penetrating, but don't want that spotlight effect if I can avoid it.

I'm no good with anything to do with LED's but when you said your getting more plant growth and also algae it sounds like you need to increase your liquid carbon/CO2 and ferts. Are you using ferts of any kind and liquid carbon (Excel, Glutaraldehyde, API CO2 Booster) or CO2?

Excel only stays in the water column 12-24 hours before it completely breaks down so it should be used everyday for maximum efficiency.

Back
Top Bottom