Goby Identification Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amonk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this guy a few months or so ago form a LFS. They sold it to me as a dragon goby. However, none of the research I have done comes up with anything that looks like this guy.

Cool thing is he does change colors somewhat on the fly, depending on his background. But he is mostly grey /w a litle white and some nice shimmer to his gill plates. Sorry for the bad pics one is from an iphone and the other is form my webcam setup in front of the tank. He is either under his rock or moving about to fast to get a good pic most of the time. =]

IMG_2051.jpg

snapshot_00626E4C0042_20140130132725.jpg

Bullet goby. :)

Might be however he does not fit the description on live aquaria. =]

He never messes with the sand and never eats crustaceans. He also has no visible markings on his upper fins, and he does have stripes on his sides but nothing so defined like the bullet goby.

I have been searching for months for anything that looks similar...

Hmm I had one exactly like yours and thats what it was. BUT mine also moved an enormous amount of sand. lol

Just my opinion, maybe someone can come along with a better guess. :)

Mine loves to dig a cave under my rock but after that he has no interest in the sand... The closest thing I can come up with is a Rock Goby...

Mine loves to dig a cave under my rock but after that he has no interest in the sand... The closest thing I can come up with is a Rock Goby...

Definitely not a rock goby. They are a cold water species found near Scotland. No way it would end up in your tank lol. I agree with Carey that it's a bullet goby. The dorsal fin is very similar

I will try and get some better pictures tonight when I do my WC. But the pictures on google of a rock goby are identical to what he looks like. I did see that they are mostly from Scotland but there are some red sea species as well... I love this hobby! Its like constant research and detective work.

This is exactly what mine looks like up close..

http://irishrockpoolaquarium.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/20131128_193527.jpg

Nvm that is a better picture and definitely not a bullet goby. Still doesn't look like the rock one. Idk, very cool guy though

Yep, I retract bullet goby now that i see it up close and can see its colors.

BUT I have no idea what it is, never seen one before like it.

It's a frillfin goby (Bathygobius) ... named for the free fin rays on the top part of the pectoral fin. (Note that this feature is found in a lot of other gobies.) The genus has a number of species, with highest diversity in the Indo-Pacific. My guess, however, is that it's an Atlantic species, Bathygobius soporator.

Tony

It's a frillfin goby (Bathygobius) ... named for the free fin rays on the top part of the pectoral fin. (Note that this feature is found in a lot of other gobies.) The genus has a number of species, with highest diversity in the Indo-Pacific. My guess, however, is that it's an Atlantic species, Bathygobius soporator.

Tony

And we have a winner! Thanks a ton! I really appreciate everyones time helping me out! go Reefers!

Back
Top Bottom