Going from a ten to a twenty gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy fm

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to go from a ten to a twenty gallon fresh water tropical tank, with one black Molly six baby sword tail two adult sword tail and one Corey cat. I plan on using the same filter and heater and plan on emptying the water from the ten into two five gallon buckets as well as placing the fish in one of the buckets while a remove the two gallon and place the twenty in its place. I plan on new sand and plants,but at least 1/3 of the water will come from the old tank as well as the filter.
My question is. Will my tank still go through a cycle? other than testing the water mor often for a while and more frequent water changes, will I need to do anything?

As long as you keep the filter media intact you should be ok. I still wouldn't clean the filter media for a few weeks just to make sure.

You don't even need to keep that much old water. Just make sure you match temperature & ph, and of course treat with prime or other dechlorinator.
Let the sand settle before running HOB filters to save your impellers.

Plants are a good idea, make sure you give them enough light.

+ 1 on keeping filter in tact and not cleaning it for a week or two.
The water is really useless[beyond being correct temp].
As long as you have done waterchanges with your source water regulary the fish should be fine with all new water conditioned and brought to proper temp.
Just acclimate your fish to new tank like they were new fish.
I have set tanks up brand new with existing cycled filters and stocked the same day without issue. My last one was a 120g that had discus from another tank added day one and spawning day 3!...(y)
Of course regular testing for first week or so is a good idea as surely as soon as we think we can predicted mother nature she makes fools of many of us...:bandit:

Correct, you do not need to keep the old water. However, if you do keep the old water you won't even need to acclimate the fish to the new tank, just temp match the new water and it will be like doing a 50% water change.

So if you want to keep the old water: Temperature match the new water and you're good to go.

If you want to start with all new water: be sure to acclimate to both temperature and pH.

Personally, I'd just keep the old water because it would speed the process up by about an hour. Either way is good tho.

Nobody mentions the fact of the filter! 1)How many gallons is your filter good for (up to how many gallons?) Is it gonna b enough for the 20 gallon? If it's only up to a 10 gallon your gonna wanta run another one to fit that tank alone with the one from the 10 gallon because the 10 gallon already went throw cycle. 2) temp. Is your heater enough watts for the 20 gallon. 3) And yes, the water from the 10 gallon I would use if you gotta get another filter big enough for your 20 gallon. Cause it will cycle faster through the new filter to break it in. 4) don't forget to condition the water!

Both my filter and thermometer will be fine for a twenty gallon. I went for a medium size filter and my house is pretty warm so the heater isn’t under strain. If I have to I’ll go up in size for the heater, but I don’t think I will need to.

You sound good to go then. Just condition your water you'll be fine. Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom