Going from fake plants to live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exactionfigure

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is an off-shoot of another thread here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=84695

Basically once I get my PH back down to normal I would like to replace the fake plants in my tank with all live ones but I have never done this before and don't know anything about it.
I'm in going to school right now and working only part time so I really can't afford a nice power compact light or anything like that.

So I’d like to know where to start- for c02 I'm thinking that this http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=118&PROD_ID=01076900020101
Would be a good thing to get, it's cheap and easy and it sounds like I can make a DIY mixture too.

For lighting I have the regular bulb that comes with the fish tank when you buy it, I'm thinking I can go buy a better bulb for plants but still use the same light fixture (I know it will still be considered low light)
I’m not sure what to buy though.

I’m not sure what else I need to know...

For low light, CO2 is not required and you'll do just fine without it. But just remember with the stock lighting, you'll need to find some low-light plants that will work in the lighting you have. Plants such as crypts, anubias, java ferns, and java moss are examples. There's a few others that some people in here could add to the list. Also, take a look around on Ebay. Might find a decent fixture fairly cheap. That's the only place I shop for my lighting, lol.

IIRC, I suggested a low-light tank for you. As LWB mentioned, you don't need CO2 since you will be under the 2wpg threshold.

I agree with the plant selection that LWB posted. These are fairly easy to find and do well under low light conditions. In the meantime, read through the stickies at the beginning of this forum. They will help get you through the set up of the "planted" environment.

Replacing your bulb with a "better" bulb won't be likely to get you much of anywhere other than emptying some money out of your pocket. The bulb should be replaced at least ever 12 months since the spectrum in NO Flourescents starts to shift after awhile, into less usable light. Get yourself a daylight bulb from walmart or your local hardware store, it'll save you money to save up for a better fixture and but just as good, possibly better, than an expensive aquarium bulb.

If you really do want to get into CO2, you'd be better off building your own DIY CO2 system. The Hagen System is basically the same thing in a pretty package. Building your own will save you money and give you control over how much CO2 you're injecting. The Hagen system only uses a single 1 Liter Bottle which doesn't generate a ton of CO2. In a 5 gallon tank I was never able to obtain ideal levels until I doubled the number of generator bottles and switched to a more efficient diffuser.

CO2 is definately not required. But if you find you are having a hard time keeping your plants alive with your level of lighting, then you might consider using CO2. This is because CO2 helps plants utilize more of the available light. As already mentioned, skip hagen and just biuld a DIY system.

as Purrbox said go to wal-mart for your lighting look for the lightsofamerica 2pack of sunlight bulbs. $5 for 2 20watt bulbs will provide more tna enough light

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom