Going on holiday... food and lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:confused:
I'm going away on Thursday lunchtime and won't be back until Monday lunchtime. The tank and fish are in my signature. I really can't trust my family to feed them the right amount and turn the light on and off. Will my fish be alright until I get back with no food and lights? I don't want to buy a 'holiday block' because I've heard they just foul the water, so I'm not sure what to do! Please help guys, thanks! :D

:fish2:

I'm doing the same thing. People have been telling me they will be fine. Feeding blocks foul water. And treat them when you get back. That's what I've been told. Hope ht helps some.

I'm doing the same thing. People have been telling me they will be fine. Feeding blocks foul water. And treat them when you get back. That's what I've been told. Hope ht helps some.

Thanks! What shall I do about the lights? I don't want my Java Fern to die without lights for 4 days :/

Good advice given above. I would not feed. The fish will be fine.

You can either leave your lights on, which I probably would given that you have plants, or turn them off and hope for the best.

P.S. Whatever is in yellow text in your siggy line, it's invisible against a white background. ;)

I agree about the timer. There will likely a decent amount of algae if you leave the lights on for the entire time - Good for your snail ;)

So yeah, I agree, if possible buy a timer :)

You could buy a timer I havent had to go away and leave my tank yet

But i am sure i will have too so i will be buying one.

Also they can go without food for 7 days aslong as you feed them and make sure every fish did eat before you leave

Hope you feel more confident now

Thanks Aston

Agree with the others, for that short of time, you will be fine with lights on and no feeding. If you would ever be gone for extended periods, you could always plug the lights into a timer and get an automatic fish feeder. It is not a feeder block but a battery operated device that you can attach to your aquarium and set times and feeding amounts.

Agree about the timer. I don't even think about them, but my husband does have one on his tank. :rolleyes:

Timer for the plants. Water change the day before you go. Feed very little before you go or not at all. I will never let anybody feed my fish. They will over feed them I know. I HAVE DONE THIS FOR UP TO 2 WEEK'S.
Don't over feed when when you return.

i also say get a timer. I'm a ditz and forget to turn the lights on and off all the time but now i dont even have to think about it. I havent had the same issues with weekend feeders as others but since youll only be gone for a few days they will be okay without food till you return.

Have a safe trip though.

Plants will be fine for a week without light. I've had plants come out of a week-long vacation-blackout looking healthier than they went in.

Thanks everyone! Loving the suggestions. I'm gonna leave the light off because there's already quite a bit of algae in there for the snail and loach so they will be fine munching through that. I'll also just not feed the fish and feed them as soon as I get back. Thanks everyone! :fish2:

PS: thanks for the signature advice ;)

Back
Top Bottom