gold barbs getting picked on and quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rel3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added 7 gold barbs to my 55g tank last week and they seem to not be fitting in. Their tails are getting shredded.... Most likely my Serpae tetras are to blame (although all my other fish have done well) I have white clouds, Kerri tetras, an angel and some loaches, corys, pleco. Everything was great before I added the gold barbs.

Should I move barbs to my 10g? I would have to set it back up but could use water and seed it with my 55g bacteria. I could also use the 10g as quarantine tank going forward

Any advice on what I should do?

Have you pinpointed for sure who the culprit is? If their fins are getting shredded, I personally would move them into the 10 gallon, and watch for infection.

Not positive but they keep roaming in bottom half of tank which is where serpae's hang out. Thought barbs would be more top dwellers

Fish never follow the rules, do they? :)

I'd observe them more to see. Perhaps it's your angel? Just brainstorming

I would not move the barbs to the 10g. I personally keep gold barbs myself in a 25g tank. They'd be really cramped and you would need to do lots of water changes to keep the water clean. Can you watch the tank from a distance (so the fish don't see you) and try and witness any fish nipping the barbs' fins?

Plan is to keep in 10g until they get a bit bigger, they seem very small, and then reintroduce to 55g

Mine are very small then. About half the size of my Serpae's and noticeably smaller than my white clouds

Back
Top Bottom