Golden mystery snails.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crawdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 5 gallon tank with 1 male featherfin betta, and had 2 gold mystery snails. The snails seemed to be doing great, and all of a sudden yesterday, it looks like they both died. My question is this, what is their lifespan? I've only had them 6 months or so. Like I said they were doing great.

Are they floating? Or do they stink real bad?? I sometimes think one of mine is dead but when I reach in to get her she sucks back up in her shell. I have had two of mine for almost a year. Do u feed them wafers? I'm not sure they can live on just algae alone.

They are both pulled up into their shells. They don't smell, they just haven't moved in the last 18 hours or so. I didn't know that I should supplement their diet.

Crawdaddy said:
They are both pulled up into their shells. They don't smell, they just haven't moved in the last 18 hours or so. I didn't know that I should supplement their diet.

Get some algae wafers & drop 1 or 2, see if they do anything. I have 4 total, 3 have been very active the 4th not nearly as much. A couple of times I smelled him to make see if he was stinky but no, he finally started moving around again. Is it just that you haven't seen them out or they are still in the exact same spot as before? Also, there is a rule of thumb that they need 2.5g per snail so you might be a little overstocked in the 5g since you also have a Betta in there. Does your Betta pick on them? Could be why they're not very active? I've read they're life span is about 18 months.

shellieca said:
Get some algae wafers & drop 1 or 2, see if they do anything. I have 4 total, 3 have been very active the 4th not nearly as much. A couple of times I smelled him to make see if he was stinky but no, he finally started moving around again. Is it just that you haven't seen them out or they are still in the exact same spot as before? Also, there is a rule of thumb that they need 2.5g per snail so you might be a little overstocked in the 5g since you also have a Betta in there. Does your Betta pick on them? Could be why they're not very active? I've read they're life span is about 18 months.

They just haven't moved. I dropped two wafers inauthentic them, as close to each one that I could. No, the Betta doesn't seem to pay them any mind. Up until last night, they were moving constantly. I don't think I have ever seen them pulled back into their shells.
One of them just started moving, it's climbing the statue in the tank. Fingers crossed that the other one will liven up.

Crawdaddy said:
They just haven't moved. I dropped two wafers inauthentic them, as close to each one that I could. No, the Betta doesn't seem to pay them any mind. Up until last night, they were moving constantly. I don't think I have ever seen them pulled back into their shells.
One of them just started moving, it's climbing the statue in the tank. Fingers crossed that the other one will liven up.

Good. I think they sometimes just take LOOOOOONG breaks. :)

Have you tested the water to make sure something isn't off that's upsetting them?

hpiguy said:
Have you tested the water to make sure something isn't off that's upsetting them?

Not yet, I did a pretty big water change this morning, and I'm waiting for things to settle some to get true readings.

Back
Top Bottom