goldfish constantly wants to eat!? foraging at surface?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mentalpaws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my 2 fantail goldfish always near surface looking for food-what pigs!! seriously, i am getting concerned that my goldfish are constantly up at the top of the water foraging for food...i'm afraid of swim bladder issues. This has been going on for a long time, i should'nt be worried but I am. My new tiny fantail is only copying the older bigger one. :fish2:

My 55 gallon tank is finally cycled, water parameters are finally where they should be. I moved my tank right next to my desk, where i sit when using my laptop. my goldies see me and just linger up at top of water mouthing for food, till I feed them. I feed tiny amounts 1 -2 times per day. No food is left uneaten. They are not sick, they've never been healthier, they just want to eat! And no, they arent "gulping" or gasping for air. I know the big one sees me... it will follow my finger against the glass as I move it.

is this normal? will they get swim bladder? i feed them sinking food always. I'd say about 80% of their day is spent up there. is there something I could do to prevent this behavior? My water is pristine, levels are correct, everything is in check chemistry wise.

0 = AMMO
0 = Nitrite
5.0 = Nitrate

thank you!

forgot to mention that I have a barebottom tank. Maybe because they cant forage below on the floor, they go up top???

anyone?

my 2 fantail goldfish always near surface looking for food-what pigs!! seriously, i am getting concerned that my goldfish are constantly up at the top of the water foraging for food...i'm afraid of swim bladder issues. This has been going on for a long time, i should'nt be worried but I am. My new tiny fantail is only copying the older bigger one. :fish2:

My 55 gallon tank is finally cycled, water parameters are finally where they should be. I moved my tank right next to my desk, where i sit when using my laptop. my goldies see me and just linger up at top of water mouthing for food, till I feed them. I feed tiny amounts 1 -2 times per day. No food is left uneaten. They are not sick, they've never been healthier, they just want to eat! And no, they arent "gulping" or gasping for air. I know the big one sees me... it will follow my finger against the glass as I move it.

is this normal? will they get swim bladder? i feed them sinking food always. I'd say about 80% of their day is spent up there. is there something I could do to prevent this behavior? My water is pristine, levels are correct, everything is in check chemistry wise.

0 = AMMO
0 = Nitrite
5.0 = Nitrate

thank you!

The only thing I can think of is if you are sitting at your desk and they see you then they are begging for food.
Do they only do this when they see you or is it 24/7?

Goldfish, like many other fish, will constantly look for food... it is a natural thing. Fish in the wild find small amounts of food as they forage over the course of the day and night. Feed your fish little and often, but don't be tempted to overfeed just because they look hungry - they are just responding to the presence of their food source - You :D

And someone once said golddfish have a three second memory!

I agree - the myth about the memory of goldfish is very silly, and a pity because I think it might be one of the reasons why some people don't respect goldfish. I often have people ask me why I bother with fish as pets because they don't remember anything and can't give back - it is a shame for them as they are missing out on so much! My little guys are adorable and have such distinct personalities, and definitely more memory than a few seconds :)

It is because they are always hungry. Gold fish have no stomachs; just one long intestine. You should feed them different than other fish. I have tropical fish so I feed my Fish good once a day..if I had Gold Fish I would feed A little bit a few times a day. That's why they create so much waste because they almost discard there food right away! And need to eat again for energy. Make sure you feed them specific gold fish food and not just tropical flakes (gold fish food has lower protein). Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom