goldfish emergency! help!:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickyg78

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 30 gallon with 4, 2.5 inch goldfish they are going to a pond when bigger. , I also have a pleco in there. Anyways my tank got ich and thought it was not a problem. Then I ran out of medicin but the ich seemed gone but came back worse. One fish developed a red line on his fin and I looked it up I don't remember what is called but its a bacterial infection. So my problem is that my tank is deeply horrible with ich and my goldfish are starting to get fin rot all of them! Some are worse then others. I've been treating with medicine, ich cure and then I been putting melafix too. My fish seem to get worse and worse please help:(

The bio load of your tank is HUGE. the level of toxins might be increasing too fast putting stress on your fish. Do a good cleaning on your tank, get real deep with the vacuum. Try to keep the water clean a possible. I know goldfishes like cooler water so i dont know a about raising them temp, this might add even more stress on your fish. Someone who had exp with goldfish and ich would be able to help you better.

Do you think adding an extra filter would help reduce toxins and such? But any ideas for the fin rot or ich

I am currently dealing with ich in my qt with a gourami. I have been doing water changes every day and it seem to be doing the trick. I would recommend the same. Adding another filter will help just dont have the current be too strong

I never used quick cure becuase its not available to me. Does that stuff have you waiting 2-3 days before doing a water change. Also do you have a carbon filter in your filter.

The catridge itself has a little bit of carbon. And it says a drop per gallon but a pleco so 1 drop per two gallons and to Change water everyday

Just so I am clear, your adding multiple meds right now? Start by doing a 50% water change with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Wait an hour or two then do another 50% wc. Do not add any more meds. Do you have aq salt or another usuable salt such as canning salt? Do you have somewhere you can move the pleco to? The goldfish can be safely treated with .3% salinity along with daily big wcs but the pleco will not tolerate this well. The pleco can be treated with just heat. Please let us know and we can further advise!

Yes I have aquarium salt, I have a small 2.5 gallon for the pleco . How much salt?

Salt is measured the best via weight if you have a small kitchen scale. If not, I can offer approximate dosages. Quick question first- are you in the US or another country?

Ok, for the salt. Measure out 11.4 grams per gallon (if you have a scale). If not, its approximately @3tsp or 1tbsp per gallon (level, not heaping). Add the correct amount into a container you can close. Add conditioned water and shake until all of the salt is dissolved. Add 1/2 the salt solution over a 24hr period gradually, next half over the next 24hrs. You may see spikes in toxins (particularly nitrites) so continue to test daily and do frequent water changes.

When you do a wc, add back only the salt you remove. Example- 50% wc, add back 1/2 of the original salt dose (x number grams or x number tsps) predissolved in conditioned water along with the new tank water- this can be added at once with the new water. maintain the salinity for one week AFTER the last spot is gone then just do not add back salt with future wcs and the salinity will gradually return to normal. Please ask if you have any questions!!

Im in the US. So far I have done 50% water change and now have put salt into it. Ill let you all know how it goes.

Thanks! You may want to consider purchasing some MediGold (from the Goldfish Connection) if the fin rot situation does not start to improve soon. With frequent wcs, ich and a tank that is not cycled properly, treating the tank with meds for fin rot is not your best option here. Med foods also are more effective as the med is introduced into their blood stream more directly. Please ask if you have questions!

Your in the US, so google the 'Goldfish Connections' site and click on their 'store'. You will see medicated foods listed/medications. The name of the med food is MediGold- this is the only place anywhere you will find it as they make it themselves and its not a commercial product carried in a lfs.

Well one fish passed away;(. I did a 50% wc and put melafix only and they seems to move a little bit. I change like 20 percent today this morning and put melafix and I don't see improvements unless its a slow process

Back
Top Bottom