Goldfish help - newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin.S

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm am not sure what is wrong with my Goldfish. But I need help.

My adult son got him at a carnival about 15 months ago. He had him in a 10 g tank until about 4 months ago. I put him into a 20 G tank with two filters (1) 5-15 g and (1) 15-30 G - NO other fish. I did put one of his old filter media in the tank and ran for about 2 days before moving him.

He gasps for air sometimes at top of tank - but does that motion anywhere in tank. He also rearranges his tank moving rocks and decor where he wants them. His behavior seems normal most of the time. Nothing new has been added to the tank.
He was orange in color but most of the orange is gone. He is mostly white. He got extremely red gills so I tested ammonia was slight at the time. I did some research thought it could be ammonia related and started doing daily water changes, when that did not work (a week later) - I tried to treat for fungus nothing so I kept doing W.C waited a couple of days. After doing research I decided to try an antibiotic everything I read said treat for two full rounds so I did. The redness in gills was gone but maybe a tiny bit and it was not red it was slightly pink only at the very top. Now he gasps at top for air less swims around but I am seeing redness by where his bottom fins start and the pink on the gills seems to be more red. I thought maybe brown blood but I am not sure.

ammonia 0.2 ppm -0.04 ppm, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, temp 76-78, pH 7.2-7.8)? I have to take it to be tested again. I am going off of my strips and his Ammonia meter.

water changes Normally done once a week - currently 20% daily. adding a few drops of bacteria and cap of Stress coat.

No diet change - he gets 3-5 Tetra Fin variety pellets in morn and 2-3 at night - a few times a week I give him the guts of 3-5 boiled peas and once a week I give him a few blood worms.

I took some pic - forgive the quality I did with my phone and he was not helpful at letting me get the shots... every time I brought the phone up he darted another direction. He is normally responsive to me but as soon as he sees the phone hes out of here.

Any advice or Ideas? :thanks:

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1401643068101.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1401643068101.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 67
  • PhotoGrid_1401642721688.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1401642721688.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 84
Tempest (Goldfish) coloring before he lost his color

Attachments

• 0328142210-2.jpg
    0328142210-2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 70
He is perfectly fine and it's quite normal for goldfish to gradually 'fade' in color unless this occurred over a very short frame of time (week or less). If it did, then that is another situation altogether.

I would work on increasing your water changes as you have ammonia present. Daily wcs until your ammonia and nitrite are steadily zero followed by weekly to bi-weekly water changes to keep nitrates in check. I would also consider a better quality food for him and adding some veggies into his diet. Please do not hesitate to ask questions! :)

I have been doing 20-20% water changes DAILY for the last 12 days or so.

The Ammonia levels are dropping slowly. hes gasping for air less often at the top now.

What worries me most is the streaks in his tail fin and the redness at base of his other fins.
He also started this thing where he goes to one corner of the tank and lays at the bottom for 10-30 min the swims around for a couple of min and goes back. He does respond to me, he always eats.

You said to feed him a better quality food - what do you recommend? I do feed him peas and blood worms but is there any other veggies I should give him?

Tetra is McDonalds equivalent for fish. There is a large amount of fillers, artificial ingredients and chemicals. Try a quality sinking goldfish food such as Hikari saki, NLS or ProGold.

It's a bit difficult to say if the redness you are seeing is simply due to blood being more transparent in a white fish, exposure to toxins, exposure to numerous different chemicals/meds or another issue or a combination of reasons. If the redness appears to be getting steadily worse in combination with unusual behavior, lack of appetite, etc and the tank has been toxin-free steadily for awhile, it may be worthwhile to consider a course of antibiotic-medicated food.

Thanks again!
I was wondering if needed what or where to find antibioatic-medicated food? Can I find at pets mart?
Thanks

Is he pooping okay. You could try some crushed garlic, that is meant to be very beneficial to fish, I feed it to mine once a week

Thanks again!
I was wondering if needed what or where to find antibioatic-medicated food? Can I find at pets mart?
Thanks

Unfortunately, no longer. If you have a speciality lfs near you (not a chain store), they may carry medicated foods but I would suggest calling first. The best antibiotic medicated food for goldfish is called MediGold. It's not a commercial product but a speciality food sold by the Goldfish Connection (check their store online). Aside from this, there are some antibiotic medicated foods sold on amazon/eBay/large aquatic dealers that are labeled for koi that can be used. Angels Plus also sells antibiotic medicated flakes but flakes can aggravate buoyancy issues in goldfish. Hope this helps!

anteatergoanna = The garlic thing is new to me? How does that work? I looked online and see all kids or baths or tonics or soaking food in garlic but I am not sure, what do you do?

google, " benefits of feeding aquarium fish garlic", I crush mine up with a garlic crusher and then put the garlic into the tank. I am a firm believer that garlic has many really good qualities and will try that before i try medication. Depends on the sickness of course, it won't help things like ick. Give it a go, it can't do any harm

As for a healthier food variety, try spinach.
•*Get a "sea weed clip" for your tank.
•*Take one small spinach leaf, blanch it in a cup of water in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
•*Place the leaf in the clip, and watch your goldie have at it.

Thanks Guys!!
I tried the garlic and the next day the red in at base of fins and in the tail fin was a lot better. I was sick though so not around here. Hes doing a lot better. there is some red still in his tail fin but its hard to see. Hes still going to top of tank gulping for air but all levels are good. Now doing water changes about every 3 days not every day. He has this new habit of sleeping more than I like during 2-5 pm each day (not the whole time but 20-30 min at a time) then hes active at night.
I have been giving him peas, carrots and changed his food to Hikari food

Thanks for all the help!

Goldfish

so pleased he's doing better, it is such a worry when they get sick

.. i feed mine peas and garlic every week, (other greens as well) really does wonders... good luck :fish2: :)

Back
Top Bottom