Goldfish sick help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeshyRee

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is Nemo he's been in our family for 5 or 6 years now. My grandma won him at the fair and had him in a 20 gal up until 6mo or so ago. He had outgrown it and I offered to take him I've had him in a 55 but kept losing other fish and his fins kept shredding so I bought him a75. I started it up seeded it and a few weeks later added him 2 other 3" goldfish and three 3" catfish my hubby caught that he just had to keep lol. Nemo did fine the first week this week his fins shredded awfully he lost some scales and was just laying at the bottom of the tank. I moved him back to the 55 and now he's acting fine. Any ideas why his fins keep doing this and also what's wrong with his eye it was like that when I got him.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1389318224866.jpg
    1389318224866.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 56
Also he's like 8"long

Attachments

• 1389318296979.jpg
    1389318296979.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 58
I think that that is a common goldfish, the tail kind of fools me, but I'm pretty sure it's a common
Unfortunately, they get huge, and need at least like a 200 gallon tank, that's why the suitable thing for them is like a pond
Also, never add wild caught fish, they can carry parasites that can hurt your other fish

Yep he's a common. I'm building him a pond and he is going out there this spring. The catfish I'm aware of but I've had them almost a year and they have been completely quarantined in the 75 except for a few goldfish

If he is by himself in the 55g and is doing fine now, leave him be until you can move him into a pond in the spring (no friends). He is actually a comet not a common. Commons lack the long flowing finnage that he has. If he has any more issues, please let us know! :)

No he's got 2 mollys 2 juvenile rainbows 2 adult swordtails a blue gourami a pleco and several little swordtails that will be sold soon

is there anything I can use to help him grow his fins back faster he does not react well to salt

is there anything I can use to help him grow his fins back faster he does not react well to salt

The best thing you can do is keep up on water changes and test your water.

Clean water will help him heal.
Good diet also. Good quality Algae Wafers, Veggies and greens and some Anacharis are good.
De shelled Green Peas, Romaine Lettuce, Orange slice, etc...

All messy, so feed these just before water changes. Use a clip to hold the bigger food.

Having him in a mixed tank is tough also. Goldies do best in cool water and should eat a veggie based diet.

He's at a disadvantage with the eye, but he can still thrive and live a very long time.

And yes, I would never mix Wild Caught fish without a lengthy quarantine and worming.

Do I need to do anything special to the veggies or fruit before I put them in there?

Only buy organic or at least rinse well.
Shell green peas. You can lightly blanch zucchini or romaine or just leave it in for 24 hours or freeze it to soften it.

Buy or device a clip to hold stuff so the fish can pick at it.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom