Goldfish tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do some looking and see what you may be interested in! If your unsure where to start for various types, check out the Goldfish Connection's/Dandy Oranda's 'gallery'. Theres thousands of pics of various types of fancies. :)

Do some looking and see what you may be interested in! If your unsure where to start for various types, check out the Goldfish Connection's/Dandy Oranda's 'gallery'. Theres thousands of pics of various types of fancies. :)

Ok :) I'm going to the pet store today hopefully so I'll look then :)

I like these guys and the fantails, but I like the fantails more I think... Don't moors get huge though? Fantails probably do too. I don't really know much about different kinds of goldfish... yet. ;)

Attachments

• image-2759743902.jpg
    image-2759743902.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 71
I'm thinking of doing a natural-looking tank for this one... Some driftwood and fake plants and rocks... Might do some love plants... Any suggestions?

All goldfish can get huge. There's no such thing as a little adult goldfish, unless it's been kept in horrible conditions - water quality, tank size, type and quantity of food.

If you want a naturalistic look, then I'd definitely do live plants. There are quite a few live plants goldfish either don't like the taste of, or have leaves that are too tough to chew. Feeding your goldfish vegetables will go a long way toward satisfying the urge to much on vegetation and is very healthy for him/her.

All goldfish can get huge. There's no such thing as a little adult goldfish, unless it's been kept in horrible conditions - water quality, tank size, type and quantity of food.

If you want a naturalistic look, then I'd definitely do live plants. There are quite a few live plants goldfish either don't like the taste of, or have leaves that are too tough to chew. Feeding your goldfish vegetables will go a long way toward satisfying the urge to much on vegetation and is very healthy for him/her.

Oh! Ok so I can pick any kind of goldfish? Thing is, I've never done planted before... Would I need sand for the plants?

Oh! Ok so I can pick any kind of goldfish? Thing is, I've never done planted before... Would I need sand for the plants?

I've planted in all sorts of substrates - small gravel, Eco Complete, dirt capped with sand, dirt capped with gravel.

And when I started putting live plants in my goldfish tank, I tied the anubias and java fern to driftwood and rocks (those are two plants they do not eat), and planted some others in little unglazed clay pots topped with gravel that I then set down on the gravel substrate.

Gradually, I moved those plants into the gravel with root tabs (crypts and swords). They don't seem to mess with the swords at all. The leaves on my crypts are very narrow, and they haven't touched it either.

I've planted in all sorts of substrates - small gravel, Eco Complete, dirt capped with sand, dirt capped with gravel.

And when I started putting live plants in my goldfish tank, I tied the anubias and java fern to driftwood and rocks (those are two plants they do not eat), and planted some others in little unglazed clay pots topped with gravel that I then set down on the gravel substrate.

Gradually, I moved those plants into the gravel with root tabs (crypts and swords). They don't seem to mess with the swords at all. The leaves on my crypts are very narrow, and they haven't touched it either.

Ok thanks :) I'll look for some plants at big al's after I clean out the tank. (hopefully tomorrow) I was also wondering though, (sorry for so many questions...) could I put some shrimp and a couple snails in the goldfish tank?

I prefer sand but if you get gravel, just make sure it's large. Large snails are fine. Shrimp will be eaten, unfortunately.

I prefer sand but if you get gravel, just make sure it's large. Large snails are fine. Shrimp will be eaten, unfortunately.

I'm thinking sand now :) that's too bad about the shrimp... Maybe I'll get a couple mystery snails :)

Mystery snails are fine! Also, check out Japanese trapdoor snails- they r huge and give birth to live babies! I had gravel in past but pool filter sand is so much easier to keep clean. Plants seem to do better as well though you may have to anchor fine stemmed ones until they are well rooted. :)

Ok... I would prefer a snail that didn't have tons of babies though... Lol already have that problem in my bigger tank :p are there any that you know of that don't multiply very quickly? I guess if I ever had a problem I could get one or two assassin snails... I'd just prefer to avoid that.lol

Ok. :) how would you disinfect a plant? Sorry I've never done planted before :s

Would a fish in cycle be okay for this tank since there will only be one fish in there anyway?

Dilute bleach, peroxide or potassium permanganate dips. Finer stemmed plants won't handle bleach dips well. Fish-in or fishless, it will be your decision on the amount of work you will want to do. Fish-in takes commitment to daily testing and water changes (keep this in mind if you have upcoming summer/vacation plans). :)

So I dilute peroxide, dip the plant in, rinse it well with water (I'm assuming) and then it's good to go in the tank?

I rinse plants in tap to remove any debris or large creatures before dipping them in PP. I believe your supposed dilute peroxide 1:1 ratio but I have dipped sturdier plants in pure peroxide before then rinsed when dealing with algae. Do some looking in the planted section for other suggestions, too.

Think it'd be ok to just rinse them really well with tap water instead of using something else diluted?

Back
Top Bottom