Goldfish who seem to be itching, but no symptoms beyond that

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabbagebutterfly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help.

We have 2 fantail goldfish, living in a planted 120 litre tank. Water parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0, so all lovely. Tank has been going for about 2 years now although it did originally have platys and guppies in :) Filter is a fluval 205. Cos it's cold in our house atm the tank is currently at 14oC.

These 2 fish have been in there for about 2 months now. They are rescue fish, came from really horrible conditions and then a cycling tank. Their transfer to the tank now was unceremonious - direct, no water transfer (as the old water was ich'y), so basically in a net, out of bag into tank.

They seem happy most of the time (they don't get much personal attention as they're in the back room but I hope that they find each other more entertaining than me)... but occasionally one of them will start swimming along sideways or on a couple of occasions upside down. It looks like he's itching but he doesn't actually rub on things. Also they have NO other symptoms and we really have stared at them to try and see any.

They were in their old tank starting to develop a few white spots, but since the clean transfer from that into this one, there haven't been any signs at all.

They're cleaned once every 1-2 weeks including a good hoover, and they're fed very posh goldfish food which I can't remember the name of (about a pinch once a day or twice if we get suckered into it). They're only finger length atm (about 8cm including tail).

After chatting to LFC (Maidenhead Aquatics) we've just put them on a course of melafix to try and knock anything that might be there on the head.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on whether it can POSSIBLY be anything with no other symptoms! Or is it the temperature?! :\ I get the impression they can Cope with it (if not perhaps in the best of moods) but is this true?!

Hello Cabbagebutterfly, You did say that your fish ocasionally swims upside down and even sideways?? This may be a disease/disorder called swim bladder disease. Im not an expert, but I would suggest looking up on swim bladder disease. Is your goldifsh a FANCY goldfish(egg shaped body)? From what ive read fancy goldfish are more succeptible of getting swim bladder disease do to genetic factors, some beleive its from the food thats feed to them. Im sure somebody else on here will be able to elaborate more and help you out. Best of luck to you and your goldie.

Is the sideways swimming happen all the time or is it after they are fed?

What exactly are you feeding them? Alot of foods with goldfish can cause swim bladder issues.

My fancy goldies get a diet of blanched zuchini or peas in addition to some source of protein including frozen bloodworms or pellets.

Ah HA!
If people would please just watch this video (of someone else's fish I hasten to add) mine sort of does the sideways shimmy that this one does at 1:07

The sideways does really seem to be sporadic, he has bouts of it. I don't think it's food-related but then again we are usually in there around food time so who knows!

The food is hikari pellet food for goldfish.

Hi Butterfly! I was wondering how your guys were doing! If your fish are acting like the ones in the video, i would say they are fine! My one guy does this once in awhile (swims sideways along the bottom). Hikari is a great food, just make sure you are giving them some veggies as well. Your tank is a bit cool though. Have you considered getting them a little heater?

Hi Butterfly! If your guys are acting like the fish in this video, they are fine!! If you actually see them rubbing themselves on objects/gravel (vs sideways swimming) then, there may be something amiss. Hikari is a great food-just make sure you are adding some daily veggies to their diet. Their tank is a bit cool though- have you considered getting them a little heater?

Back
Top Bottom