GoldieLocks 24gal Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think I am going to have a gramma instead of a damsel! Can I still then have a goby?

Just a question, now I have nearly everything in the post this week. How do I fill this up? As in what chronological order? Does it go..rock, sand then water?

And yes I did get your message..just about to reply.

Here are some pictures, from the not so good fish shop:

Attachments

• DSCF0286.jpg
    DSCF0286.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF0290.jpg
    DSCF0290.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0291.jpg
    DSCF0291.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0316.jpg
    DSCF0316.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 102
And here are my packages from today :)

Attachments

• DSCF0322.jpg
    DSCF0322.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0323.jpg
    DSCF0323.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0324.jpg
    DSCF0324.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 95
GoldieLocks1 said:
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think I am going to have a gramma instead of a damsel! Can I still then have a goby?

Just a question, now I have nearly everything in the post this week. How do I fill this up? As in what chronological order? Does it go..rock, sand then water?

I think you can still get the gobie a gramma is prety small. I would go with some base rock then sand if you get a gobie as thay can coaus a rock slid if not then its realy up to you. As far as when you add the water put a bowl on the sand or in your tank to kind of defuse the water so it wont let get all cloudy.

Gramma are worst than Damsels IMO they can get real bossy in the Tank after awhile and attack New additions even larger fish if not careful- I have a ton of experience with Damsels but in order to keep them from getting territoral there has to be space for them I would do them in a 24G or even a 29G they need space to get aquainted with there surroundings, Yes they are small fish but they get territoral becasue of lack of space- The most modest damsels are the Yellow Tail damsels and do not get as terriortal as other Damsel fish, be aware common clownfish are part of the Damsel family so they too are terriortal and can get aggressive over time. JMO

Id add the Gramma last mine is a jerk too lol I find it funny that my Potters angel backs down from her even though the PA is 5x her size

Thanks for the input. But...now I am thoroughly confused. When I looked on live aquaria and some other sites it said that Yellow Tail Blue Damsels are a peaceful community fish...if I had to pick between a Damsel and a Gramma I would go with the yellow tail damsel. But both seem like trouble makers... And I'm not keen on the purple fire fish because I do not want any jumpers. Its like seeing cash fly out of your tank. Lol.

I got some more stuff in the post today. One of them being the Ro that Mj recommended. Few questions...how do most people connect it to a water source? How much salt do you add? How do you add the salt? Once you've done the water and then put it into the bucket? That's it for now..

Attachments

• DSCF0413.jpg
    DSCF0413.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF0415.jpg
    DSCF0415.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0416.jpg
    DSCF0416.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0417.jpg
    DSCF0417.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 85
And here are the bits that came in the API Master Liquid Reef Kit.

Attachments

• DSCF0422.jpg
    DSCF0422.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0423.jpg
    DSCF0423.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF0424.jpg
    DSCF0424.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0421.jpg
    DSCF0421.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 92
GoldieLocks1 said:
Thanks for the input. But...now I am thoroughly confused. When I looked on live aquaria and some other sites it said that Yellow Tail Blue Damsels are a peaceful community fish...if I had to pick between a Damsel and a Gramma I would go with the yellow tail damsel. But both seem like trouble makers... And I'm not keen on the purple fire fish because I do not want any jumpers. Its like seeing cash fly out of your tank. Lol.

I got some more stuff in the post today. One of them being the Ro that Mj recommended. Few questions...how do most people connect it to a water source? How much salt do you add? How do you add the salt? Once you've done the water and then put it into the bucket? That's it for now..

Lol Imo thay both arr about the same hot temperd and thay both look cool so I gess its up to you. I have had both and to me seem like thay should be in the same family lol good luck goldie

Thanks Steve. I will defenitily add the Damsel last. I might even change my mind with having a damsel if I see something else I like more.

I really need these questions asked by someone if that is okay...?

1: How do most people connect there RO to a water source?
2: How much salt do you add?
3: How do you add the salt?
4: How long do you leave the water and salt mixing?

1: I buy my water :(
2 It depends on the salt i use 2.5 cups for 5 US gal
3 I just dump it in the pail
4 i like to let it mix for 24 hrs then test an adjust if needed
5 I dont mix any more than i need for a PWC

That is great! Thank you Grizz. I have a couple more of questions if anyone could answer them please..

1. What is the correct level of Salinity?
2. What is the correct temperature?
3. Would you advise against using any sort of chemical buffers etc?
4. What are the correct levels for phos, cal, alk etc etc

Please could anyone get back to me :)

GoldieLocks1 said:
That is great! Thank you Grizz. I have a couple more of questions if anyone could answer them please..

1. I would say 1.024 on salinity
2. It depends on what you have in your tank I would say 76 to 80 is what my tanks run at
3. Advise aganst no but I am new to the buffer side of reefing the only one I use is alk buffer
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=89

GoldieLocks1 said:

Doing reef I would advise 1.024 to 1.025 for salinity,78 to 82 for temp,420 to 460 for cal,7 to 8 for alk, o for phos.
Whether you need to supplement will depend on your tank,type corals ,how many etc.That you will have to test over a period of time to determine.Sometimes doing 15% PWC every other week is enough.But to keep SPS corals you need to maintain the calcium and alk,and usually your PH will stay in line.
Of course these answers are from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom