good algae eater for betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a betta in my 26litre, im having a problem with green algae. I,ve been scrubbing the glass & ornaments myself & my problem has come from the sun shining on my tank, I,ve been switching the tank light off early. I,ve added two blue ramshorns to my tank but well they haven't done much! Do you guys have any idea what I could use? I do have Nerites in my big tank could I put a couple in their for the moment?

I have Nerites in my big tank, how many could I put in with my betta? Once they,ve ate the algae I,ll be putting them back in my other tank. Bought two blue ramshorns for my betta hoping they would eat the algae but they haven't bothered. Thanks

I'm not experienced in the snail department I just no names . For inverts like shrimp I'm more knowledgable. I think I have to step down and let someone else take that one ;)

You could get a mystery snail. They eat algae and leftover food. I had one in my 5 gallon and I never had to scrub algae off the sides once. The amount of food I cleaned from the gravel also decreased. I didn't know that aquarium salt killed them, though, and that's how he died.

I had an apple snail in with him & he stopped it from eating! He's a bad betta lol

youngster said:
An oto would be perfect for your tank. It's a catfish aglae eater abour 1" long

I have otos, they do their best in schools of around 4 plus. They are quite hard to feed but I have managed to feed them algae wafer and bloodworms. Many people can't feed them on anything but alage .

youngster said:
An oto would be perfect for your tank. It's a catfish aglae eater abour 1" long

Worried he,ll kill it, that's why I thought Nerite. It's a shame as I really like otos. Thanks anyways

Now that's a problem.......Bettas and snails almost always get along.....If he picks on the snail, he might pick on other algae eaters you get.

He's fine with Nerites, tried one off mine a while ago, & the nerite just ignored him. Think I,ll have to try that again. Thanks guy's

Thats what we,ve been looking at, he's in my bedroom at the moment so we,re still looking. Just need something at the moment.

I'm wanting to get a small table to put his tank on & sitting him near my other tank. So I'm having a look at the moment for the best place for him. Thanks everyone

A nerite will be fine in there. The tank is unfortunately too small for an oto to get enough to eat. I don't suggest mystery snails because 1.) they don't actually eat a ton of algae and would rather eat flakes and stuff 2.) many fish, especially bettas, like to nip at their long eye stalks. Since nerites don't come far out of their shells, they are basically always betta safe. :) Ramshorns are not huge algae eaters IME. They eat some, but in my tanks they never eat enough to really dent the algal growth much. No worries about growing algae in the lights then, because it will make for a happy nerite. Besides, that sounds like your cheapest option since you already own them. ;)

Thank you for that, will I just put the one in their? And should I leave my ramshorns in don't want to cause too much of a bio load for my betta :)

Back
Top Bottom