Good beginner plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

just_doitman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gal aquarium with stock light and wanted some good plants and suggestions as far as root tabs and liquid co2 and if adding bubble wands helped with that? There is one Amazon sword in my tank currently!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anubias, crypts, java fern

Osmocote Plus root tabs(00 size gel caps from Amazon) for the sword and crypts

Seachem Excel or Metricide 14 for liquid co2

I'd suggest API leafzone and Seachem Comprehensive for macro and micro nutrients

No bubble wand unless you like the looks of it, but it will be fighting against you in the long run.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd suggest API leafzone and Seachem Comprehensive for macro and micro nutrients

No bubble wand unless you like the looks of it, but it will be fighting against you in the long run.

Thanks a bunch could you share or show your setup I mainly want to see other peoples aswell

How will it be fighting Against him in the long run I just want to know because I'm starting a tan with all live plants and planned to have on also ?

Sent from me quietly wishing I was a fish

Ahh, I'm a total beginner too, and have had great success. My easiest, favorite, extremely fast growing and beuatiful plant is Water Wisteria. It grows SOOOO fast and the fish love swimming around in it.

Fishwrangler and I have the same exact advice here...
-Metricide for C02 in place of Excell (WAY CHEAPER) lasts forever
-Seachem Flourish (comprehensive supplement)
-API leaf zone.

oh yeah, you can make some root tabs with osmocote plus, (I bought the empty pill capsules at an organic grocery store where they sold small bags of 20).

Thanks a bunch could you share or show your setup I mainly want to see other peoples aswell

This is my tank yesterday. If you go back to the post on 11/2/15 you'll see the tank a year ago.

How will it be fighting Against him in the long run I just want to know because I'm starting a tan with all live plants and planned to have on also ?

Sent from me quietly wishing I was a fish

The bubble wand increases surface agitation which increases gas exchange. Plants produce some co2 when the lights are off, and if you use a bubble wand this co2 is removed before the plants can use it.
You want to give the plants as much co2 as possible so you can help them grow faster and limit algae.

This is my tank yesterday. If you go back to the post on 11/2/15 you'll see the tank a year ago.

The bubble wand increases surface agitation which increases gas exchange. Plants produce some co2 when the lights are off, and if you use a bubble wand this co2 is removed before the plants can use it.
You want to give the plants as much co2 as possible so you can help them grow faster and limit algae.

+1

But for an easy low light tank that bit of co2 won't matter much. In the case of wranglers high tech tank it does make a difference.

But yes, bubblers are purely cosmetic.

Caleb

My tanks are low tech. This one is a 10g, just jungle vals, a few dwarf sag, and some duckweed:

img_3302112_0_58ad994626730575192a9cddaf0b7193.jpg

This is a 10g no tech (no filter, heater, etc). Red ludwigia, jungle vals, dwarf sag, baby tears, flame moss. Before trim:

img_3302112_1_7e51814355d916f6a60c7cd9ef4eeb47.jpg

After:

img_3302112_2_b8d25cac5d5301de35d4620afd3e5c7d.jpg

I added root tabs when the tanks were originally setup but haven't since. I dose Leaf Zone, Comp, and Excel maybe twice a month.

OLD vid...I'll be resetting all my tanks this month
http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Excuse the music...first attempt

This tank, weekly PWCs , API Leafzone, Seachem Flourish Conprehensive, DIY Root Tabs every 3-4months or as needed. I add liquid Ferts after the weekly water change. Easy peesy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how many fish and plants you have you may not need either leaf zone (contains iron and potassium) or flourish (contains micronutrients, such as magnesium calcium, etc.).

In a tank with lots of fish and low quantities of undemanding plants you won't need to use either. A tank with low fish load but lots of plants will probably require fertilizer.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446781669.315092.jpg when plants are showing roots like this is that a good sighn

I don't believe so, that is the plant producing more plants with it's final engery. The plants way of passing its genes onto the next generation so to speak.

Add root tabs if you don't have them, and see if it improves.

Here is a good link for the Metricide if you decide to use it. Remember to ditch the small bottle that comes with the gallon. You don't need it. And, Metricide is twice the strength as excel. So use 1/2 as much.

Look at this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/351478084294

CIDEX METRICIDE OMNICIDE 14-DAY STERILIZATION GALLON

Here is a good link for the Metricide if you decide to use it. Remember to ditch the small bottle that comes with the gallon. You don't need it. And, Metricide is twice the strength as excel. So use 1/2 as much.

Look at this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/351478084294

CIDEX METRICIDE OMNICIDE 14-DAY STERILIZATION GALLON

Some thought I was crazy using this with discus and GBR but even at a double dose they are not phased. Just start off slow and over time work up the dosage.

Caleb

Some thought I was crazy using this with discus and GBR but even at a double dose they are not phased. Just start off slow and over time work up the dosage.

Caleb

Hey, that's good info to know. Thanks

These are all excellent beginner plants. I'm new too. Even love my algae.
Metricide seems to work unless you're sort of lazy.

img_3303061_0_bd1f7ff76d2fd14697be462c8bc758e2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom