Good cheap heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking of picking up a 10 or 20 gal tank because petco has their $ per gallon sale. I have a spare 10w heater. Do I need a bigger one? What size tank would 10w work on? What heater would you reccomend for a 10g or 20L tank.

After looking up my filter, it's only 125 GPH! Wow was I wrong. Would a 125 GPH filter work on a 20L? Or would 10g be max?

After looking up my filter, it's only 125 GPH! Wow was I wrong. Would a 125 GPH filter work on a 20L? Or would 10g be max?

I am sure that would. A lot of people say 8 to 10 times the tank size. Just be careful and don't put one in if the flow is way too strong. I bought a used 10 gallon one time, and it the filter that came with it was ranted for a 50 gallon. I think the flow was so strong that it killed my fish.

Cheap is not always best. I've had problems with aqueon and topfin heaters. I've been through about 5 heaters and I only have 2 tanks that use them. They always somehow get stuck set on the highest temp and turning the knob does nothing to turn them off. Currently I have that issue with a topfin one that won't go below 82 even though I have it set at 67. I have been very satisfied with my new fluval heater though.
Not sure if I just have bad luck with heaters- but that's my experience!
(Also when I first got my topfin heater I didn't rinse it before putting it in the tank and it killed a whole batch of 50+ Molly fry- was very strange)

Cheap is not always best. I've had problems with aqueon and topfin heaters. I've been through about 5 heaters and I only have 2 tanks that use them. They always somehow get stuck set on the highest temp and turning the knob does nothing to turn them off. Currently I have that issue with a topfin one that won't go below 82 even though I have it set at 67. I have been very satisfied with my new fluval heater though.
Not sure if I just have bad luck with heaters- but that's my experience!
(Also when I first got my topfin heater I didn't rinse it before putting it in the tank and it killed a whole batch of 50+ Molly fry- was very strange)

I've had bad luck with those brands too! The new Cobalt heaters are pretty cool, not sure how well they work though. I have an aquatop heater and its not bad.

I've used all kinds if heaters in the past- some el cheapos and others that were quite pricey. Now I only stick with eheim. They aren't fancy, and I don't like the dial, but they are reliable. My 300w heaters go for $90 here, but I got some in sale online for $55 incl. shipping.

I use the aqueon submersible aquarium heaters, and they work fine for me. Also, I think the rule is 3-5 watts per gallon, so for a ten, the lowest you should go is 25, and for a 20, the lowest is a 50, but more is better.

Back
Top Bottom