Good or bad sign?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that anemones usually split when they are stress. Would this apply to corals too? My green ricordia is splitting and i wonder if something is wrong.

Thanks

"split when stressed" doesn't sound right to me. Splitting is how they reproduce and usualy only done when things are in "good working condition" IE: the creature has the extra energy needed to go through the spliting process.

IMO, natural reproduction would be a good sign.

Yay that's great to hear.

Btw. I've seen quite often that anemones split when they are stressed. It doesn't sound right to me either but i've seen that comment on this forum. O well, mayb i was dreaming haha

TheRealFF said:
Btw. I've seen quite often that anemones split when they are stressed. It doesn't sound right to me either but i've seen that comment on this forum. O well, mayb i was dreaming haha
Not dreaming, it's actually true. Anemones reproduce three alternate ways. In regards to splitting, it can be either from stress or just plain need. Without obvious mitigating factors, there's no way of telling one from the other. If from stress though, more often than not, one of the newly split will perish.

Cheers
Steve

I was going to say that I had heard that also about splitting from stress. I`ve had it both ways and some of the time as Steve said the other half did not make it.

Back
Top Bottom