Good tank cleaner for 5g tank with betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryguy29227

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I am going to get a Betta for my 5 gallon fish tank and I would like to know a compatible tank cleaner that will get rid of algae and leftover food. I don't want any snails that might over populate or ghost shrimp. (my last Betta turned my 2 ghost shrimp into a snack. ). ):

I had the same problem with my betta...shrimp were delicious snacks. Snails may be your best bet as a 5 gallon is somewhat small for alot of other algae eating tankmates. If you don't overfeed the tank, you should not have to worry too much about overpopulating snails.

kaiofcanada said:
I had the same problem with my betta...shrimp were delicious snacks. Snails may be your best bet as a 5 gallon is somewhat small for alot of other algae eating tankmates. If you don't overfeed the tank, you should not have to worry too much about overpopulating snails.

Any snail ideas? I really don't want them to overpopulate because my aunts aquarium did and it was a disaster to fix.

Snails are easy to remove if you overfeed and get too many. Simply blanch some spinach or lettuce and put in a leaf in the tank overnight. You can weight it down with a rock if you need. By morning or sometimes within an hour it should be covered with snails. Remove the bait food and repeat as often as possible until you have suffiiciently reduced the population.

As for recommendations, I really like malaysian trumpet snails. They will mostly hide in your substrate and come out in the evening and feeding times. They will take care of some algaes and the remaining food in your tank. You must be careful not to overfeed the tank or you will see their numbers increase. These are not the prettiest snails, but they are a great maintenance snail.

You can also consider ramshorn snails. These guys lay eggs on the glass and on plants and other objects which you can typically see. You can scrape eggs off of the glass as a means of population control, but again...don't overfeed.

Both of the above snails you can typically get for free from your LFS. Their tanks are overflowing with them and you can simply ask for some of each kind for free.

A third option is a mystery snail. These are really lovely snails that come in many colours. They can grow very large and their numbers are easy t control as they lay their eggs in a very obvious and large clutch above the water line. You will be able to see it and remove it easily to control the population. I am not suggesting this for your 5 gallon as mystery snails can be very poopy, thus polluting your water. You will need to be sure to stay on top of your water changes weekly. If you can upgrade to a 10 gal, mystery snails would be a more manageable option. If you decide on a mystery snail for your 5 gallon I would not house more than two. They will eat the excess food and some algaes.

kaiofcanada said:
Snails are easy to remove if you overfeed and get too many. Simply blanch some spinach or lettuce and put in a leaf in the tank overnight. You can weight it down with a rock if you need. By morning or sometimes within an hour it should be covered with snails. Remove the bait food and repeat as often as possible until you have suffiiciently reduced the population.

As for recommendations, I really like malaysian trumpet snails. They will mostly hide in your substrate and come out in the evening and feeding times. They will take care of some algaes and the remaining food in your tank. You must be careful not to overfeed the tank or you will see their numbers increase. These are not the prettiest snails, but they are a great maintenance snail.

You can also consider ramshorn snails. These guys lay eggs on the glass and on plants and other objects which you can typically see. You can scrape eggs off of the glass as a means of population control, but again...don't overfeed.

Both of the above snails you can typically get for free from your LFS. Their tanks are overflowing with them and you can simply ask for some of each kind for free.

A third option is a mystery snail. These are really lovely snails that come in many colours. They can grow very large and their numbers are easy t control as they lay their eggs in a very obvious and large clutch above the water line. You will be able to see it and remove it easily to control the population. I am not suggesting this for your 5 gallon as mystery snails can be very poopy, thus polluting your water. You will need to be sure to stay on top of your water changes weekly. If you can upgrade to a 10 gal, mystery snails would be a more manageable option. If you decide on a mystery snail for your 5 gallon I would not house more than two. They will eat the excess food and some algaes.

Thank you so much. I will try to get one. It sounds like you have a lot of experience with snails. :)

I used to breed and sell mystery snails to three of my local stores. I moved and gave up my colony to a friend. I kind of miss it. My favourite are the ivory mystery snails. They have a beautiful white shell and a light pink body. They are really nice additions.

Hmm... I should try one when I get a bigger tank. Did you have fish too or just snails ?

I have quite a few tanks now...but at the time I had two larger planted freshwater community tanks, a brackish dwarf puffer tank, a shrimp only tank that was also planted, and a 20 gallon mystery snail tank. All very fun. Although I admit, still my favourite side hobby tank was the shrimp tank.

Shrimp are very interesting creatures. They are always busy and there are some really interesting varieties. I have recently become obsessed with blueberry shrimp. I am considering getting a batch and setting up a new breeder tank for them. I might start off with a 5 gal :)

Yes, shrimp are amazing. I had two with my Betta ( until they were lunch ) and they were funny, the would go under the arch of my castle, to the top of a plant, and all over, they were amazing.

One last snail to consider....but only put one of these in a 5 gallon.

Nerite snails are great algae and cleaner snails....but they are mostly for algae. They can only reproduce in saltwater, so you won't have to worry about their numbers increasing. Because they eat predominantly algae you will need to supplement their diet with algae wafers in case your set up doesn't support alot of algae growth. Once a week wafer should do it.

They are very nice looking snails. They only catch to 'em is that they leave a trail of little white markers which are difficult to scrape off of glass. I don't mind it so much, but some people find it really unappealing.

You only need one of these for a 5 gallon.

Lol but you commented on my other thread an didn't know it was me. It was about picking a Betta.

may i suggest a gravel vac and a mag float? they dontt poop,lay eggs,or die:)

Back
Top Bottom