Good Tankmates for a Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BarleyBear said:
We need more US breeders of HQ bettas!

I agree!! I can't find any good bettas over here, and I don't want to breed any random lfs betta. Thank you so much for all the info!

So how is our little betta today?

He's doing great! He's been out in the open all day, so I got some more pics. I also took some videos, but I don't think we can post them here. Oh, well, I put them on Facebook.

I was worried that he wasn't eating 1) because he was still too stressed or 2) the tetras were too quick. However, I caught him slurping up a blood worm today like a piece of spaghetti! And I think his tail is healing up just fine. If you didn't know, he'd look like a split tail right now. The wound doesn't look so "stumpy" now, and unless it's just wishful thinking, it looks like some of it has already grown back.

I added some cherry and amano shrimp today. I got them for their cleaning prowess, but I had no idea they would be such a delight to watch! Very active little buggers. I'm so glad I got them. Take a look at my album to see the other critters.

New pics:

Radagast 2.jpeg

Radagast 4.jpeg

Radagast 1.jpeg

Radagast 3.jpeg

Wow he's looking great! Perfect close-up pic!
I had used tweezers or a baster to put the food right in front of my bettas, that way I knew he was eating. ;)

Wow he's looking great! Perfect close-up pic!
I had used tweezers or a baster to put the food right in front of my bettas, that way I knew he was eating. ;)

He's started hanging around in the corners at the top near the opening of the tank, so I think that will help with his feeding. I put some defrosted blood worms in today with a plastic fork, and I got an eye dropper to plop some soaked pellets in front of his face. I also got it because I might try to train him. Apparently, you can get them to swim circles and stuff. Saw a kid on Youtube doing it, and it looked very fun.

BarleyBear said:
Never heard of those. What are they?

It's just a site I stumbled on yrs ago with sum beautiful bettas they r incredible

stone1269 said:
U ever heard of Wasan Bettas?

Those are some really pretty and pricey bettas. I'm glad that I got my male halfmoon(Brandon) for .99 because the store thought he was a she. :) Sometimes I like when the stores makes mistakes, it can be cheaper. ;)

BarleyBear said:
He's started hanging around in the corners at the top near the opening of the tank, so I think that will help with his feeding. I put some defrosted blood worms in today with a plastic fork, and I got an eye dropper to plop some soaked pellets in front of his face. I also got it because I might try to train him. Apparently, you can get them to swim circles and stuff. Saw a kid on Youtube doing it, and it looked very fun.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/76216.asp

Saw this on Ellen awhile ago, maybe you could use it ;)

It won't be long and he'll come running to you for his food. Mine will jump over floating plant, bark, or the divider to get to the food. They will even snatch it from the tweezers before I put it in the water.
I just love my bettas.

So how is our favorite betta?

He's doing great. Cory cat ticks him off when he bumps into him, but I think he'll take ownership of the tank soon. He's much less timid and starting to show some spunk. And he's eating and exploring all over the tank now. Tail looks good and seems to be healing and growing back.

BarleyBear said:
He's doing great. Cory cat ticks him off when he bumps into him, but I think he'll take ownership of the tank soon. He's much less timid and starting to show some spunk. And he's eating and exploring all over the tank now. Tail looks good and seems to be healing and growing back.

Oh good, we like to see that spunky attitude. :p
Are you still medicating him?

No. I only used the one dose of Melafix and decided not to risk any more. The snails almost crawled out of the top, so I don't think they liked it at all. I think he's grown about a 1/4 of his tail back, so I think he'll be fine.

BarleyBear said:
No. I only used the one dose of Melafix and decided not to risk any more. The snails almost crawled out of the top, so I don't think they liked it at all. I think he's grown about a 1/4 of his tail back, so I think he'll be fine.

That's 1/4 inch of his tail back.

Back
Top Bottom