Got an algae bloom. I'm lost without the search feature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank looks great, if a little sparse planted wise. But if they are growing like you said pretty soon you'll be nicely stocked. I would have to caution you on the piece of slate/stone in the left front of the tank. It appears to be pressing on the seam of the tank which IMO is not a good idea. Might not be a problem if the picture is misleading but I'd recommend not having it press directly on the seam if possible.

Also keep an eye on the plants below your floating plant. They are obviously getting much less light and if they show signs of damage you will either have to use lower light plants in that spot or find a new spot for the floating plant. By rule I don't really like floating plants because they cast such a large shadow over the substrate and plants below. I have then in my tank and specifically have anubias and java fern/moss below. Fast growers and high light requiring plants won't fare so well.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the pics!

Looks great! You'll have a tank full of vals in no time. My 10g is like a jungle, I can't rip them out fast enough! LOL

How is the sword doing? I use API root tabs with my swords and they do great in both my tanks. Any plans on doing ferts? I too recommend dry ferts, I am on my 5th or 6th week of EI dosing with pressurized CO2 and my plants are growing like crazy.

I ordered my ferts (1lb KNO3, 1lb KH2PO4, 1lb CSM+B, 1lb GH booster) from AquariumFertilizer.com for about $30 shipped.

Thanks guys! The piece of slate is near the seam, but not actually on it. It's about a half inch off. I put it in there in case my angels ever lay eggs, but mostly for the cories to have a place to hide. The M/F bristlenoses took over the underside of the driftwood.

I do try to keep the Ulvaceuous plant trimmed so it doesn't overshadow everything. I probably will move the plants that are below it and replace with some low light ones. It's growing a little faster than I thought it would, even with trimming.

The swords aren't doing very well. I think the place I got them from grew them emmersed... I'll try the Seachem root tabs, but if that doesn't work, I'll have to get some from Mgamer. That's who I got all my other plants from and they're doing really well.

I am dosing potassium and Excel, but I think the Excel is hurting my anacharis. I'm halfway thinking about going with CO2, but I'm not completely sure I need it. The Vals really did take off after I started dosing 2X the Excel to help combat the algae though, which leads me to believe carbon would be really benefitial. If I do go with the CO2, I'll start using the EI method for dry ferts. If not, I'll probably cut the EI method in half or something.

Excel and anacharis are not compatible. The leaves will just melt. You'll have to decide whether you want to forego a liquid CO2 source or whether you want to get rid of the anacharis. Personally I'd ditch the anacharis. I'm actually in a similar situation. I like to dose a low level of Excel in my main 20 gallon tank even though I have pressurized CO2. Keeps the glass clean and a small bit of BBA at bay. Unfortunately one of my plants is apparently not compatible with Excel (learned that the hard way and almost completely lost the species in my tank), and so I'm tossing the idea around of getting rid of the plant type.

I'm just a packrat and try to keep every plant species I've ever had, even if it's just a small piece.....:)

Yeah, I've thought about tossing the anacharis. I really do like the looks of it though. I guess I should just get a CO2 system so I didn't waste any money on the anacharis. :rolleyes:

there is... they make these coil denitrators that supposedly work well

I made one even cheaper than that DIY with parts from home depot.

I used brown sprinkler tubing that comes in a 100' roll, a 2" pipe in 2' section to wrap, a 3" pipe, and two $.69 knock off caps. I drilled two holes in one cap, and sealed the bottom one with silicone. wrap the 2" with the hose, follow the curve it is simple, leave about 10' on the end for placement. I taped it on the other. Put the 2" inside the 3" and remove the 2". Fill the center with the high surface items of your choice. I had leftover fluval media and bioballs. base rock rubble would work too. put the hose out of one of the hoses and seal it and the cap. Done. I have mine in a sump, but in FW you can put it in the tank. once it is full, you can put the hose in a HOB or in the outlet of a canister for a slow flow. Once it cycles, like a tank, you should see nitrogen bubbles coming out the hole in the top.

total cost $6 for hose, $4 for 3" pipe and $2 for caps. I had the bioballs and silicone. the 2" got returned.
:bandit:

Back
Top Bottom