Got an extra 3 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shane l said:
It does look awesome:) I was also thinking a live plant tank where I could house some species and swap them around in toy bigger tank

Well a 3 gal isn't big enough to house most fish, not even big enough to use as a QT.

I'll be glad to see what you choose though, with lots of pics :)

Or I could get a female betta to mate with the male and she could live in there until he nests and then move her into the community tank with him then after the fry hatch put her and them back

Attachments

• image-92954811.jpg
    image-92954811.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 52
That would be a good idea but you would need another tank once the fry get to a certain age I believe (not sure lol!)

I think just another male Betta tank with some nice anubias or java moss would w cool :)

Scouser said:
That would be a good idea but you would need another tank once the fry get to a certain age I believe (not sure lol!)

I think just another male Betta tank with some nice anubias or java moss would w cool :)

Those plants sound great what do they look like and what do they need

I'm sorry to say but a male betta wouldn't be too happy in that tank. I had one betta that I moved form a 3g to an 8g and his personally got much better and he was 10x more active and happier! I would suggest least killifish or shrimp or snails. The shrimp are so much fun to have and there are tons of types to choose from. As for anubias and java moss, they're pretty easy to take care of and pretty hard to kill. Just put them in your tank and they'll grow. I also would suggest java fern, xmas moss, and anachrias. I have some of all of those and they're great!

Both are low light I believe

Anubias nana

Java fern

Java moss

Attachments

• image-1670536473.jpg
    image-1670536473.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3445900691.jpg
    image-3445900691.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image-3997004267.jpg
    image-3997004267.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 54
AquaKai said:
I'm sorry to say but a male betta wouldn't be too happy in that tank. I had one betta that I moved form a 3g to an 8g and his personally got much better and he was 10x more active and happier! I would suggest least killifish or shrimp or snails. The shrimp are so much fun to have and there are tons of types to choose from. As for anubias and java moss, they're pretty easy to take care of and pretty hard to kill. Just put them in your tank and they'll grow. I also would suggest java fern, xmas moss, and anachrias. I have some of all of those and they're great!

Yea a male Betta would prefer a bigger tank, but so would almost every fish really.

It comes down to what the op wants, it isn't a set in stone thing lol.

Snails are good but they need algae or other snails or even blanched veg which means a lot of work removing and re adding new food.

Shrimp are a good option which I also recommended but they are notorious for escaping tanks do need to be checked and all gaps blocked.

Shane l said:
I know what you mean my male used to be in that tank and now he is in the 8g he so much more chilled:D please get pics of your tank and plants

Here's some pictures of some plants
This one has a marimo moss ball
img_1655172_0_f10058da742cba28cc0da0ce0532dc53.jpg

The anachris
img_1655172_1_d2c0dcc1fb1452bcd591ccbb3a344e6c.jpg

This one has the x-mas moss on the driftwood and some java fern in the back
img_1655172_2_b7d0f1635f22bbbda0d56f4f8cf449e0.jpg

And here's the shrimp tank with the java moss on the side

Shane l said:
So females also? And the shrips what do they eat ? Are they canabalistic and do they need a lot of hiding space?

I haven't had much experience with female bettas but what I've read one of them needs 5g like the males to be happy. I feed my shrimp shrimp pellets, blanched zucchini and they occasionally get fish flakes.... They aren't cannibalistic but they do eat their exoskeleton when they shed. Plants are practically a must for shrimp IMO and they're good with a few rocks and plants.

Shane l said:
Awsme and I can take them ou the bucket and into the gravel?

The plants? Yes take them out of the little bucket thing they come in. It's usually better for them that way.

Back
Top Bottom